Push means better battery life even with no push services

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by iammike1, Jul 17, 2008.

1. iammike1 macrumors 6502a

iammike1

I don't quite understand this at all really. I read multiple times that turning Push off would increase battery life vs. say, 30 minute fetch....but what about if you have no push services setup on the phone?

I resisted trying it for days but finally did. My battery life did indeed inprove by turning push off even though the only account I have setup on the phone is my Gmail IMAP account. Anyone know why it would do that?

2. viggen61 macrumors 6502

If someone with more knowledge reads this, please correct anything I'm about to say...

I would surmise that, in order for push to work, the iPhone has to be listening either continually, or sporadically (every 10 sec for example). If you turn it off, the iPhone doesn't have to listen for the "push" signals. Anytime you turn off one of the radios in the iPhone (cell phone, WiFi, Bluetooth, etc.), you'll save power.

:apple::apple:

3. Dammit Cubs macrumors 68000

Dammit Cubs

no you get push services but its don't manually.

Whenever you want to update your email, you go to your email directory.

For calendars, i did a test and because there is no update button. When you either update your existing calendar or make a new schedule. It will update at the server.

4. iammike1 thread starter macrumors 6502a

iammike1

If I have no push server setup, I can't push calendar entries to it. All I have setup is a Gmail IMAP server. No Exchange, no MobleMe, no Yahoo, etc etc.

I guess it could be always listening for a signal but I dunno....but I definately know I'm not doing push when I have no push server setup. >_<