Push notification behavior-news apps?

Discussion in 'iPad Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by rp2955, Mar 20, 2012.

1. rp2955 macrumors member

Hi all,
    I just got the newest Ipad and had a question about everyone else's experiences with push notifications on apps like CNBC, CNN, etc and if my experience is the same as everyone else (just want to verify I don't have something messed up).

For example, I have the CNBC app that provides "breaking news" notifications that pop up in my notification window on the new Ipad. If I click on that story, I would expect that it would open up the app and take me to that specific story. On my Ipad, it just opens up the app to the generic intro page. On my Ipod Touch, when I get the exact same alert, if I click the notification, it will open up the app and take me directly to the breaking news story.

Anybody else have the same behavior (would particularly be interested from hearing from folks who have the CNBC app)?

2. rp2955 thread starter macrumors member

3. rocknblogger macrumors 68020

rocknblogger

I use news notifications also and it does the same thing which I never understood. What's the point of the app notification if when you tap it, it doesn't open to the story?

4. rp2955 thread starter macrumors member

What I don't understand is why it seems to work fine on my Ipod but not on the new Ipad. Only thing I can figure is the app that was built for the Ipod is slightly different than the Ipad in terms of how it handles these notifications.

I agree...it makes logical sense that if you click on the notification, it should open up the app and take you directly to the story. I notice on a lot of other apps that this behavior is the same (click on notification, just opens up the app but doesn't take you to the story). Strange.

If anyone else has experience with this, would be great to hear...

5. SoloStyle macrumors regular

I've noticed this same thing. It seems to me that it's because most of the time, the "Break News" notification is sent out before the story is even written or completed. Usually about 15 minutes later I'll see the story first appear in the app. Kind of stupid.