Push Notification: Create Push Notification Provider&Register For Remote Notification

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by cthesky, Nov 17, 2011.

1. cthesky macrumors member

Hi All,

I need to build an Iphone application that utilizes Apple's Push Notification Service.

So far, I know that I need to install the SSL Certificate on Push Notification Provider to connect with APNS. But I have a Windows Server 2008 (Push Notification Provider). So, is it possible to install the SSL Certificate on Server running Window XP? Anyone have any ideas to do this?

Another thing is I know that the Iphone application need register to APNS using application:didRegisterForRemoteNotificationsWithDeviceToken: method. My question is how many times the application need to register to APNS? Is it one time only (that is register when the application first launch)? Or need register many times (that is register everytime user use the application)?

Any comments and ideas are welcome. Thanks a lot. :)

2. jnoxx macrumors 65816

jnoxx

My comment? it's all in the documentary. Exactly the questions you were asking are in the Q&A provided by Apple.
    If you read through it once, you will be like, oh.. it's all in here? miracles!
    The thing is, every time the user starts the applicaiton you need to upload your device token (not the UIID) to the server, and it should respond to that.
    Also it explains all about your payloads of your actual payload you're gonna send to the server etc.
    So read through the documents and check out some tutorials like here.
    http://mobiforge.com/developing/story/programming-apple-push-notification-services
    Haven't checked it, but it's one of first hits on google..

3. Hunnenkoenig, Nov 19, 2012
    Last edited: Dec 26, 2012

Hunnenkoenig macrumors newbie

Instead of messing around with it, you can use http://PushWizard.com, a free and unlimited push service.
    It can send 250 million push messages / hour and it is easy to implement.

You would need a server for sending push messages, which can be very cost intensive and believe me, you wouldn't be able to get the same results.

PushWizard has no limitation on devices and it is absolutely free, while other similar services charge you thousands of dollars for device limited services.