Push notification from a hosted server

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by andrewobrien, Mar 6, 2013.

1. andrewobrien macrumors newbie

Hi, is it possible to send push-notifications from a hosted server (the server where my websites are hosted on)?

I also want users to go to a website where they'll log in and type a push-notification. How do I send the push-notification from the website's hosted server to the push-notification server in my home?

I'm stuck with making this server. Any replies or help will be much appreciated. Thanks in advanced!:)

2. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Actually, yes, this is normally how push-notifications are done. Your web-server (not your device) puts together a notification-package and sends it to the APNS.

You'll have to build some kind of web-service on your home server to accept a notification request and then handle creating the real push-notification in response. This could be done via an HTTP POST from the website to your server.

3. andrewobrien thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for your reply! Can I do this with any web server? What do I need from a server to send push notifications?

4. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

Have you read the Local and Push Notification Programming Guide yet, particularly the section about General Provider Requirements? If not, give the whole document a good read and if you have more specific questions, come back and fire away. If you've already read it, what are you unclear on?

5. andrewobrien thread starter macrumors newbie