Push Notification issues with 3rd Party Apps

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by whatupg1, Dec 27, 2009.

  1. whatupg1 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago
    #1
    I've noticed that "Push Notification" with 3rd party apps for me has been hit or miss. It seems they will work for awhile then then stop working and then after several hours push notifications will start working again.

    This issue seems to occur with all of the 3rd party apps I use mainly Beejive, TextNow and the ESPN app for score updates. When Push notification stops working it is happening with all of the apps at the same time and not just one particular app.

    I'm wondering if anyone else is experiencing the same type of issues with "Push" and if there is a resolution.

    Sorry if this has already been a discussion on the forum.

    My iPhone is a 16GB 3G version 3.1.2 and has NOT been unlocked or Jailbroken.

    Thanks in advance for the help!!!
     
  2. Leet Apple macrumors 6502a

    Leet Apple

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2009
    Location:
    Canada
    #2
    I would say go to Apple and see what they say since it could be a hardware issue
     
  3. armin6150 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2010
    #3
    Push Notification (only working for a while)

    i have the same issue. i use Yahoo messenger, Nimbuzz and Fring for messagin and when i sign in and out of them apps, the push notification works for a while and then it stops!! i have iphone 3GS version 3.1.2, and also mine is not unlocked or jailbrocken. I would have gone n talked to apple store but there isnt any near where i live!

    If anyone have any suggestions or solutions please share.
    Thanks.
     
  4. whatupg1 thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2009
    Location:
    Chicago
    #4
    Armin- I have resolved my issue with "Push Notification" by doing the following:

    Go to Settings > Wi-Fi > Select your Wi-Fi network > Change the setting for DNS to 8.8.8.8

    And that's all I did

    I found a thread in a forum and for some reason I guess either my wireless router or Comcast was blocking push notifications. Though I still don't know how DNS had anything to do with it since DNS is used to look up the IP Address of websites.

    Once I changed the DNS IP Address to 8.8.8.8 which is Googles DNS server push notifications have worked perfectly ever since.

    Let me know if this works for you.
     

Share This Page