Push Notification Questions on Jailbroken iPhone 4

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by MarximusMG, Feb 9, 2011.

1. MarximusMG macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

I've searched for these questions and can't find the answers in this forum yet. Here are a few questions I have.

I'm using an iPhone 4 jailbroken with Greenpois0n. I'm getting pretty frustrated as I am having issues with push notifications of a few apps: Mail, Facebook, and Twitter.

1. As for Mail, I've checked my settings to make sure that push notifications are on. Do I need to have the "Fetch" option set to check every 15 minutes? When I was using my Gmail account through the Mail app on my iPod Touch, I would get the notification immediately when I received a new email. However, the only way that I am able to receive new emails on my iPhone is by opening the app. Does this have anything to do with the fact that my iPhone is jailbroken? I wouldn't think so, as my iPod Touch was also jailbroken.

2. As for the Facebook and Twitter apps, I've seen several posts in the forums regarding the inconsistency of the push notifications of these each. So I am assuming that it's something that I'll just have to live with. But if anyone has any information that would suggest otherwise, please let me know.

Thanks in advance for any help or ideas!

(As a quick side note, just one more possibly stupid question: Is there any way to delete an email from within the message on the Mail app for iPhone? There was a trash can icon in the Mail app for my iPod Touch, but I'm not seeing it on this.)

2. aristobrat macrumors G4

If you're in an email, you should see the trash can icon at the bottom of the email.

If you're in an actual folder (like the Inbox) where it's showing you the email headers, you can either swipe your finger horizontally across an email and a Delete button will appear, or you can click Edit and select one emails to be deleted (or moved to folders).

My gmail has never instantly appeared on my phone. I have mine set to Fetch, and the Fetch interval set to an hour.

My experience with Facebook and the offical Twitter app is that push messages are inconsistent regardless of if you're jailbroken or not.

3. MarximusMG thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

Thanks for the reply. I feel like a real newbie asking these questions that seem so simple. I can usually figure things out in iOS (such as on my iPod) but for some reason I've just been stumped by these issues on my iPhone.

When you say that there should be a trash can if I'm in the email and not the folder, what do you mean? How can I be viewing the email without already being in the Inbox?

Also, I tried the horizontal swipe method, and nothing happened. Maybe I'm misunderstanding how to do this?

Finally, if Fetch is set to Manually, does that mean that Mail will only check for new emails when it's opened? I guess I'm just puzzled over the fact that my iPod was able to instantly receive my emails, whereas my iPhone is only able to (if I'm understanding this correctly) check for new emails every 15 minutes.

4. jasvncnt macrumors 6502

When you go to your mail (open the mail app), click inbox. Now you are viewing the headers of all your mail. You should see a edit button on top right corner. If you click "edit" you should then be able to select multiple emails to delete at one time.

Also, if your in your in box, same view, you should be able to put your finger on one of your emails, slide your finger across it to the right and delete it.

If you actually open an email to read it, there should be a bar at the bottom of your email with a few options, one is a trash can (think it is, i have a theme that changed it).

5. aristobrat macrumors G4

No worries, I think we've all been there. :)

When you're in the Inbox, it shows you all of the different emails. There is no trash can icon in that view. When you open a specific email, the trash can icon should appear at the bottom. :)

This might explain it better. :)
    http://www.tipb.com/2009/02/27/iphone-101-swipe-delete-email-sms-media-iphone/

Honestly, I'm not sure about how your iPod touch worked. I've seen some folks talk about gmail instantly appearing on their iPhone, but I didn't pay enough attention to see what they were doing -- you might try mroogling it and see what pops up. I do know that if you have Push set to Off, and Fetch set to Manual, the only time your email client will update is when you open it. :confused:

6. MarximusMG thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

Thanks again everyone for your help. I really appreciate it.

I just realized what one of my issues was. The default setting for my Gmail account under Settings was to "Archive Messages". This was the reason I didn't have the option of the trash can (or the option to delete while swiping). I turned that setting to off, and the archive button has disappeared with the trash can now replacing it.

As for the push notifications, I found an article on TechCrunch that addresses this:

http://techcrunch.com/2010/08/23/iphone-gmail/

I guess the best that you can do with Gmail on the iPhone (without installing additional apps that assist with push notifications) is have the Mail app fetch new messages every 15 minutes.

Once again, thanks everyone for your help!

7. lucifiel macrumors 6502a

lucifiel

Gmail does do push, you just have to set up Gmail as an exchange account with gsync.

8. DDustiNN macrumors 65816

DDustiNN

9. MarximusMG thread starter macrumors 6502a

MarximusMG

10. BrianBaughn macrumors 601

BrianBaughn

Yes, Gmail setup to use IMAP and the iPhone account setup as "Exchange" is the way to go.

However, it's my preference to sync contacts and calenders with Google differently than "Exchange". Exchange seemed to mess with my Address Book contacts, and the Calendar colors (important if you're using more than one calendar) are random with "Exchange".

Here's the way I do it for clients: http://tinyurl.com/4ztevfp