Push notifications and battery life myth?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jayem1234, Sep 29, 2013.

1. jayem1234 macrumors regular

I always thought that the more push notifications I allow, the shorter the battery life I would get. So recently I've selected don't allow when the option comes up, but that takes away from a lot of the experience.

I stumbled upon a post a few years back that said the number of apps selected to recieve push notifications doesn't really matter since there's only one connection for all.

Is there any truth to that statement and can I use push notifications without much battery life loss?

2. phositadc macrumors 6502

I'm no technical expert but personally I've found over the years that I get better battery life from push than from scheduled fetch.

That being said, I imagine if you have something like Facebook sending you dozens of notifications per day that's going to hurt your battery as compared to manually checking Facebook once or twice per day, if for no other reason than you are probably picking your phone up and checking much more.

3. R.Stoychev macrumors 6502a

R.Stoychev

I hvae tried everything off push etc. now I keep on all the apps I need and the battery is fine :)

4. Mrbobb macrumors 601

There is one sure way to find out: RUN THE EXPERIMENT.

Do a 1 week thing. When u start in the morning make sure you are at 100%, at the end of the day, or when you need to recharge, note time and %, after 7 days you will have compile a fair amount of data.

Do same thing at week 2, now with push on.

Of course make sure week 1 and week 2 your routines are the same, you are not taking a business trip on week 1 then week 2 you are staying home base. Or week 1 u spend lots of video watching time, and week 2 u are tired of the video and are taking a break. You may want to reset your celullar data meters at the beginning of each week and if both runs are vastly different you may want re-run the experiment again.

Example: WIFI push, theoretically uses less juice than cellular data push, so depends how much time you spend in WIFI locales.

But look man, am in the school of, my gadgets should make me happy, the heck with obsessing about nick and scratches and battery and what not. You happier with push notification, do it and the heck with the rest. Now if more push distracts you from doing homework and basically makes you glued to your phone all day then that's no good generally.