push notifications for the mail app?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by LimitedxEdition, May 27, 2009.

1. LimitedxEdition macrumors newbie

would the push servers be able to work for our email accounts as well as these 3rd party apps? i'd love that.

2. Bye Bye Baby macrumors 65816

Bye Bye Baby

Which email accounts?

3. robbieduncan Moderator emeritus

robbieduncan

Push email already works for providers who choose to make it work. The alterations in 3.0 don't alter this: it's still up to the mail provider

4. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

Push IMAP has been around for a long while and is used with the MacOS Mail.app. As far as I'm aware, this is going to be an implementation with 3.0.

5. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

No, it works right now.

MobileMe and Yahoo are the 2 main ones that use push IMAP at the moment. Many others don't do it, but that has nothing to do with the phone.

6. stupidm4n macrumors member

Would like email to pop up with message showing heading like sms and the new apps with push notifications

7. shk718 macrumors 6502a

8. Phatzer macrumors regular

Phatzer

I'm already aware of that. I'm saying that I believe there will be support for all IMAP servers with appropriate push support.

9. ruinfx macrumors 6502a

this is nothing new, used to use this on my nokia s60 phone to get "push" gmail. the iphone could have "push" gmail too if apple officially enabled imap idle.

10. LimitedxEdition thread starter macrumors newbie

That's what I was imagining. I'm just hoping that other email providers that don't have push on the iPhone can jerry rig their services to apples push servers.

11. Peterg2 macrumors 6502a

My company has an account with Mailtrust.com, a commercial provider of email services to business now owned by Rackspace. For several years they have provided IMAP4 IDLE support and it works superbly with any number of clients. It even worked fine with my Sony Ericsson K790a.

It does not work with the iphone and it has *nothing* to do with a sub-par implementation - It is based on, inter alia, Dovecot. I believe you are confusing Push with IMAP4 IDLE. They are not the same.

12. ppc750fx macrumors 65816

IMAP IDLE provides a "push" experience. It's not true push, but then again neither is most every other solution.

Kinda sucks that Apple's decided to re-invent the wheel (twice, if you include Yahoo Mail "push" support) rather than go with established standards...