Push notifications, how is the drain now?

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by jollyreaper, Feb 15, 2013.

1. jollyreaper macrumors regular

I've tried to not use push due to drain issues. Email is all set to manual. Accidentally activated push on my weather app. While I like the idea of push, I fear for battery life. I also see that push control is separate from the device so I can't really disable it.

What's the current consensus on battery drain with push?

2. SnowLeopard2008 macrumors 604

SnowLeopard2008

I use a ton of push notifications. No excessive battery drain.

3. jollyreaper thread starter macrumors regular

hmm

Mail push destroyed my battery life. Two accounts, gmail and exchange. Essentially the same mechanism for app push, right?

4. itickings macrumors 6502a

itickings

It depends on how often things are pushed, so it will differ from app to app and user to user.

If you have push enabled but don't get anything pushed, it is not drainy at all. If you on the other hand have for example push enabled for mail and get mail frequently, it will drain your battery.

In other words, push for mail could even help preserve the battery compared to periodic polling if you only get mail a few times a day.

5. jollyreaper thread starter macrumors regular

So the phone isn't polling itself, only activates when a push signal is recieved? That's better.

----------

I know the problem with Exchange was that the radio would never turn off.