Push notifications: iPhone and/or Apple Watch?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by rodknocker, Apr 20, 2015.

1. rodknocker macrumors 6502

Several news apps released updates which are including the corresponding Apple Watch app.
    Most of these apps offer the possibility to send push notifications for breaking news. Also to send these push notifications for breaking news to the Apple Watch.
    Notification Center sync had been announced in WWDC years. But it was never released for all apps except Apple Messages.app and the Apple Calendar.app

Now it looks like we will get even me more duplicate records:
    Breaking news push notification on the iPhone and on the Apple Watch.

Or will be there a way to use prefered the Apple Watch for these push notifications?
    If there is no setting, maybe i could disable push notifications for this dedicated app on the iPhone, but i'm not sure if the Apple Watch will still receive push notifications.

I hope that Apple has made thought about that topic :-(

2. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

Notifications are notifications. You wont get duplicates for each one.

3. rodknocker thread starter macrumors 6502

I'm sure about that.
    The app will send a notification to the iPhone and to the Apple Watch.

This looks like a duplicate.

4. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

Just put your phone on complete silent when you have the apple watch on. This will help with actually realizing you got a notification on your phone. I really hope the phone dismisses the notification once you dismiss it on your watch. Example: I delete a message from my watch, and it also removes the badge/notification from my phone. Android wear does this.

However, my iPad/iphone combo does not do this and it is pretty annoying. I have to open the mail app to remove the notification.

5. Tim7 macrumors 6502

Tim7

That is to do with the settings of the mail server. My iCloud mail is the same as yours I have to remove notification on both devices, but my work email is through an exchange server and if I read a message on iPad it shows as read on iPhone and vice versa.

6. Armen macrumors 604

Armen

There is some logic in place already that if you are wearing the watch the notifications only come to the watch and when you don't have it on your wrist (break skin contact) notifications go to the phone only.

7. mattopotamus macrumors G4

mattopotamus

true, gmail does that. It just seems weird that apple would not have their iCloud onboard :(

8. rodknocker thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, but this isn't a solution. Because the notifications will still send to the iPhone.

They announced notification center sync for iOS. But i was never released