Push notifications - lost forever?!

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by CaptSaltyJack, Aug 17, 2009.

1. CaptSaltyJack macrumors 6502

So I just now started using an app that uses push: BargainBin. And I noticed.. if I get a push notification, it shows up on the screen. If I ignore it, and another push from BargainBin comes in, the previous push notification is gone. Um.. is this really how push works? What if I'm away from my phone and miss an important push (like from eBay or something), then a 2nd push overwrites the first one?? Shouldn't there be a list of push history somewhere?

2. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

Yes, that's really how it works. Yes, it's stupid. Yes, it's Apple.

3. Pattycerts macrumors 6502

That's exactly how it works, and it sucks. Certain apps like IM apps you can open the app and it lists all that you've missed. AP Mobile does NOT, not sure about other apps.

Now be prepared for many people to tell you how you should have seen it when it was sent, and you are to blame, because its the Apple way.

Then be prepared for all of them to say THANK GOD when Apple fixes this.

LOL, as a workaround, I guess you could call it that, make sure badges are set to ON so you can see how many you missed on the apps' icon.

4. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

Crappy implementation for sure. Seriously, Apple..you're slipping.

5. Dan73 macrumors 6502a

Indeed, hope they fix it. I would get by 4.0

Also less intrusive push notifications would be nice.

6. CaptSaltyJack thread starter macrumors 6502

All Apple needs to do is add an app or a place in the "Settings" app that shows you your push history, which you can edit & clear. That way, this solves a few things:

1. Missed pushes are still kept in your push history and you can view them there.

2. If you want to know about pushes (and the text they contain) but don't want the notifications, you can disable alert sounds & notification text, and you'll still see the badge, and the push text will be in your push history.

I'm shocked Apple didn't think of this. So simple.

7. lindsayanng macrumors 68000

lindsayanng

no.. all developers need to do is create a push friendly application that, when you open the application to see what created your badges or pushes, you see a list.. Dont see why developers dont take the brunt of this one.. i wouldnt want 10 things cluttering up my home screen when i come back to my phone and 10 news articles came through.. wouldnt you rather have a little 10 badget and tap the app and see the list of what you missed?

8. Eso macrumors 68000

Eso

This is exactly the problem. The point of the badges is to differentiate new from previously viewed content. In phone you can see which phone calls were missed and voice mails you haven't heard. For email and messaging, you can see which conversations or emails have not been read.

Push notifications is a poor solution to any app that doesn't differentiate content. News applications always retrieve the latest headlines while discarding the old articles. Badges don't make any sense in that case because every article is going to be new and none of your previously viewed articles are available.

9. Runt888 macrumors 6502a

Wow - lots of apple hate in this thread.

It is up to the application developer to decide how to handle push messages - if they throw away older messages when new ones come in, it isn't up to Apple to stop them. It also isn't something that Apple should fix, as it's not broken. They provide a flexible framework for app developers to use, and it's up to the app developers to decide how to best use the framework in the context of their app.

In general, I would think that most good push enabled apps should provide a history that fits in with the context of the app, but if it doesn't make sense for a specific app then it's not something that should be provided or required by apple.

10. ErikiPhone macrumors newbie

I agree with Runt88, for some app you loose them but find them again in bold or showed as you open the relevant app. this is at least how it has been implemented in T2G - my todo list app. I find push pretty useful for this app...but somehow sometime intrusive like few other said. When I turn it off though I feel like something is missing!

11. redbeard331 macrumors 6502a

redbeard331

I've noticed while Push works great on the apps that have it, the badges don't show up on all of them, eBay, SportsTap, and BargainBin do not have badges, even though it's in the settings and I have them turned on.

Hopefully that's addressed in the future as well..

12. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Apple for the love of all things sacred just allow multitasking and put in a bigger battery there. Problem solved.