Push Notifications not coming in over 3G network

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by Brandon-411, Jun 9, 2011.

1. Brandon-411 macrumors newbie

Hey folks,

Recently, I noticed that I am unable to receive push notifications over AT&T's 3G network. As soon as I connect to a Wi-fi network, I sometimes get a flood of notifications (Facebook, Words with Friends, news articles, etc). In addition, I cannot send my iPhone messages using Find My iPhone, or even locate it, unless it's on Wi-fi (all other devices on the same account work). I downloaded the free app iPusher, and it only works on Wi-fi.

Last month, I jailbroke for the first time, mainly for MobileNotifier. I backed up my iPhone today and restored it from that backup, and push notifications still didn't work. However, when I wiped it but didn't restore from a backup, they worked. Unfortunately, this really isn't an option because I'd lose all of my app data. I jailbroke it again and tried Push Doctor, but it didn't help.

I'm using an iPhone 4 and running iOS 4.3.3. Cellular data is working fine in Safari, Facebook, etc, as are SMS messages. Any help? :( Thanks!

2. Brandon-411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay... I can't find a solution to this problem, so I'm considering wiping my iPhone and not restoring from a backup, because then the push notifications work properly. However, I'm looking at using OpenSSH to manually copy my apps and their data to my computer, and then manually copy them back to restore them (no way am I going to lose my 3 stars in Angry Birds!). Will that actually work? I can easily restore my contacts and photos using iTunes.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

I’d use Chronus to save the data and then copy the Chronus directory to your Mac.

4. Brandon-411 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks, I downloaded it and, if things don't work out, I will use it and then wipe my iPhone. I have a Genius Bar reservation this week, so as a last resort I'll try Apple... In my experience, Apple has excellent support, but I don't really expect them to resolve this issue

5. lonnielove macrumors regular

so how did it go was there a fix for this issue????? Im haveing the same issue...what firmware are you on????

6. Brandon-411 thread starter macrumors newbie

While the employees were friendly, as I expected, they didn't have a fix. The Genius who helped me said that she had a friend with the same problem, and the only way to fix it was completely wiping it and not restoring from backup, as it's a "software issue." However, she said I could use a 3rd party solution, like PhoneView, to backup my data... Which sounds very similar to what -aggie- suggested I do. :p Unfortunately, I don't think PhoneView backs up app save data (such as Angry Birds progress), so I will probably be using Chronus.

I'm running 4.3.3.