Push Notifications on MacOS?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by RebelTrust, Apr 9, 2017.

1. RebelTrust macrumors newbie

Hello everyone,

I'm a bit new to MacOS/OS X. I was just wondering if Mac apps to be open/launched/in the background to receive push notifications? I'm a long time iOS user and I thought push notifications would act the same on MacOS. On iOS the app you are receiving a push notification for does not need to be open in the background.

For instance, on Mac, I do not get a notification with Tweetbot when someone follows me unless the app is already open. Is this normal behavior? On iOS Tweetbot does not need to be open for me to get a notification. Yes, I have notifications on both in System Preferences and in Tweetbot's settings. I'm just using Tweetbot as an example. I don't get push notifications for Apple Mail app or one downloaded from the App Store either. I do however get Safari and iMessage notifications when they aren't open. Are there only a select few Apple apps that can do this?

If anyone needs any more clarification I'll be happy to provide as this is really bugging me. I thought it would function the same as iOS, correct me if I'm wrong. I'm on the latest OS 10.12.4

2. Superspeed500 macrumors regular

Superspeed500

As far as I know: Push notifications for the app will work as long as there is an background process(daemon) runing for that app. Both the twitter app and the Apple Mail app doesn't provide push notifications without having the app open for me. The same logic should apply for other systems too.