Push Notifications (WiFi Pad)

Discussion in 'iPad' started by DSchwartz88, May 1, 2010.

1. DSchwartz88 macrumors 6502

So at first I reasoned that apple must be turning off wifi when you shut off the screen like on the iTouch, so there was no way to receive push notifications after its been off for an extended amount of time. This was confirmed to me when I left my aim username signed in and after about 2 minutes of being off I stopped getting push notifications.

My question to you guys, if this is the case.....how the hell did Find My iPad make it start ringing the second I send the message when it had been off for four hours?

I'm extremely interested to know, any help would be great.

2. -Ryan- macrumors 68000

I don't know, but push email doesn't seem to be working on mine even while I am using it. I can hear my computer upstairs get the email through, my iPhone vibrates, but iPad nada. :(

3. MikhailT macrumors 601

The only thing that I could think of is that the WiFi isn't turned off, it's actually in a deep low power/sleep mode that it can turn on every once in a while to look for information. If it access Apple server during that time, it'll get that iPad notification since it's prioritized over any other push notifications.

4. jeffy777 macrumors 6502

I get push notifications even when my screen is off. I haven't unlocked my screen since last night and I've received several push notifications already this morning (from over night). I'm using a Linksys router.

5. RexySF macrumors member

Mine is also working fine while the screen is off... Got a bunch of notifications over night also.

6. LordOBoogie macrumors 6502a

LordOBoogie

7. antiprotest macrumors 65816

antiprotest

I get push notifications even with 3G turned off.