Push Notifications will be on iPod touches too!

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by Luke1robb, Dec 9, 2008.

1. Luke1robb macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Looking back at this story from Engadget (http://www.engadget.com/2008/06/09/iphone-push-notification-service-for-devs-announced/), I realized that the question on many minds has been answered for some time... Will Push Notifications come to the iPod touch.

Notice this line,
    Obviously if Push will be available to iPhone users over Wi-Fi, why wouldn't it be available to iPod touch users over Wi-Fi? Of course, it might come at a price (Most likely $9.99 or $19.99), but I think it will be worth it. Just think of all the app money they'd lose if they didn't give Push to iPod touch users.

2. Joetang macrumors member

could you just briefly clarify what push is? i don't think i fully understand it.... =X

3. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

Push notifications would be, for example, if you logged into the AIM application and then went back to the home screen, and someone sent you a message while the app was "closed." The Push service would sent you an alert (text message like bubble, number bubble above the icon, or alert sound) to tell you that you have a new message. The list goes on, including RSS feaders that could alert when a new MacRumors article hits the web....the possibilities are endless.

4. ThunderBull4 macrumors 6502

5. Luke1robb thread starter macrumors 6502a

Luke1robb

They have Push for email, but no one has Push notifications for iPod touches or iPhones yet, it was supposed to be released in late September, but is still yet to be released... look for it at Macworld San Fransisco 2009 (Early January)

6. Surely Guest

Surely

No. Not yet. Maybe never. Only time will tell.

7. Joetang macrumors member

So if Push does come at at MWSF, wouldn't it be in the form of a software update? like the one we just had... less then a month ago?
    Don't tell me they're pushing out new Touches! i just got mine! they usually push out new iPods during September don't they?!

8. acedew macrumors member

It would be a software update, but you may have to pay for it.