push notifications

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 16, 2011.

1. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    At WWDC they announced push notifications for apps.... is there currently this feature in Lion? How does it work? It seems a bit odd if this isn't currently working because we are a month away from release...

2. ajcrow93 macrumors member

Don't take my word on it, but I think that was only for the server version of Lion.

I think there might have been something mentioned somewhere that devs for apps in the mac app store could eventually add them to their apps as well, but I'm not sure.

I'd love to see them integrated into lion completely though. Until then though I have growl.

3. paulsalter macrumors 68000

paulsalter

dont understand this

my apps currently give me notifications on Snow Leopard, why woudnt this work in Lion ?

4. Takuro, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

Takuro macrumors 6502

Takuro

Actually, if you install the iCloud package on Lion, one of the things it installs is push notification services.

If you use Find My Mac, you can force a push notification to be sent to you Mac. It looks like a normal UI window with the close, minimize, and resize buttons missing and two selections - “Ok” or “Cancel.”

EDIT: I looked up the actual process I had seen installed. It’s called “aosnotifyd” and has been around for a while - primarily used to push MobileMe info about mail, calendars, etc. to the Mac. This might mean I’m totally wrong, unless Apple is going to build push notifications ontop of this delivery service?

5. Mad Mac Maniac, Jun 17, 2011
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2011

Mad Mac Maniac thread starter macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    go to the WWDC keynote at http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3lsMFzxtSZ8&feature=feedu push it up to 17:55 where he is talking about the features of the mac app store. there is a bullet for push notifications and he states
    push notifications is also on the screen at the end for extra features not included in the presentation

Another place about push notifications on Lion. Apple.com http://www.apple.com/macosx/whats-new/features.html#macappstore

6. KirkL macrumors 6502

Ya that was my impression too