Push on 2.2.1

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by jvlog, Apr 23, 2009.

1. jvlog macrumors member

this may be old news in which case please disregard but i just received a push notification on my facebook app running the regular iphone os 2.2.1
    is there something im missing as this should not be avalable till 3.0
    [​IMG]
    any idea if this is a slip up or what. ether way pretty cool

2. LinMac macrumors 65816

Beejive will also show that badge if you have pending messages you haven't checked when you close the application. It isn't a push notification.

3. macneurotic macrumors newbie

macneurotic

I don't know if that is supposed to happen or not.

However, I'm already envisioning my own disappointment when I see number badges pop up on the Facebook icon only to learn someone has "discovered the secret meaning of their own name", or taken some lame quiz and the "result is Office Space."
    :cool:

4. lostfan916 macrumors 6502a

lostfan916

Tell me about it! I get so excited too. :eek:

What happened is that you probably got a message but didn't realize it and closed the app. If you have an unread message a badge appears.

5. LinMac macrumors 65816

Isn't that all Facebook is for..? :D

6. dissdnt macrumors 65816

dissdnt

You just have an unread msg when you were in the app, it wasnt pushed.

7. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Strange.

I got a badge pop up on facebook yesterday even though I hadn't entered the app in a few days.

8. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

As others said, it's not push, it's an unread message since the last time you were in the app. Many IM, to-do, social networking, weather, etc apps do this. If you have a new message, item, alert, whatever and don't read it while in the app it will badge the icon. It is IMPOSSIBLE to push on 2.2.1 and it is IMPOSSIBLE for 3.0 apps to push outside of a test environment at the moment.

9. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

You obviously failed to read my post.

I said it appeared yesterday though I hadn't opened facebook app in a few days.

I'm not saying its push, just that it was strange as I usually have to open it first then close it without reading the message for the badge to appear.

10. fishkorp macrumors 68020

fishkorp

Is your phone jailbroken? If so, you probably have something installed that will check (or Backgrounder?).

If not, there's absolutely no way possible that the Facebook app could get badged without the app being open. Is there a chance someone used your phone and opened the Facebook app? There's no code mechanism in place for apps to get a badge with the app closed.

11. ajnicho macrumors 6502a

Nope, I dont have backgrounder installed, I removed that last week. It's doubtful anyone could have opened it as I have pass lock on my phone.

Just one of those mysteries. Perculiar.