Push or fetch?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by dontwalkhand, Mar 11, 2011.

1. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I have only one MobileMe email account, and currently it is set to Push. Long battery life is important to me, so should I turn off push? I would also like to keep notifications from applications active.

How often should I fetch to maintain a decent battery life? My workday starts at 8AM, and the battery in any iPhone I had ever lasted me past 4PM. I use my iPhone heavily, for everything. It is my primary email and Internet device.

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Do you sit at a desk? Can you plug it in during the day?

I ask, because I suspect the difference between push and fetch is, at most, less than an hour difference in battery life.

Meanwhile you're "heavily" using your iPhone which probably cuts your phones life from 20 hours to 6 hours. I know because that's exactly how I am. I use my phone a lot during the day and I always have to charge it before I go home. I used to fret over all the little things until I realized that I was killing myself with worry just to go from 6 hours life to 7 hours life. Wow. Great. So now I have to charge it 1 hour before I go home instead of 2 hours before. How wonderful.

So now I have a plug at my desk. And another one in my car. And I plug it in when I can and I stopped worrying about how things affect my battery. I even leave wifi on all day even though there's no network here. The old me would've had a heart-attack about that.

(The actual answer to your question, though, is that you don't want either if you want maximum battery life. You want 'manual' setting and just check your e-mail every now and then. If that sounds too horrible then feth on the hour. If you want more often than that then I think 'Push' is a better idea once again.)

So that's your answer, but it's not the one I chose for myself. I still suggest getting more charger cables and you'll find yourself worrying about it much less.

3. TITNTUFF macrumors regular

TITNTUFF

Very Good Advice

Less stress, keep it plugged in...:D

4. raymondpaul macrumors newbie

it does not really affect battery life that much. Only an hour or so. So if you think 1~ hour is important, keep it off.

5. ozred macrumors 6502

I've tried both.

Then I bought an Android powered HTC Inspire from AT&T.

Now it's really fast, fun & easy :)

6. dontwalkhand thread starter macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

I do try to charge it up with a car charger. When I really want my battery to last is when I am on my road trip, but thankfully I have a car charger. I guess problem solved, heh.