Push (problems with gmail account)

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by guklein, Nov 6, 2009.

1. guklein macrumors 6502a

I have 2 emails accounts in my iPhone (gmail and mobile me).

'Push' is working great with mobile me account. But in the last days it is not working with gmail account.

Anyone else is experiencing the same problem?

Suggestions?

Thanks.

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Gmail does not have push, only fetch on the iphone. Does it not fetch the email?

Take a look in the setting for your email on your iphone.

3. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

Get an app called "Mail Notifier". It will do push notifications for your Gmail account.

S-

4. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

What is the difference between fetch and push?

Thanks.

5. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Copied from the Apple support website.

6. guklein thread starter macrumors 6502a

Great!
    ;)

Thanks.

7. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

OK i rephrase, its not supported natively without jumping through Google's hoops.

8. Keysersozeh macrumors newbie

I've been having the same issues since about Weds.

It's been flawless since Push was enabled about a month or so ago. I usually get a notification on my iphone before Gtalk tells me on my desktop or my browser updates. Currently, my phone doesn't update for 30 to 45 min after the email has been received.

I don't need instant notification for business, it's a nice to have for personal use.. but it has been a little frustrating going from having instant to not..

9. pablo7 macrumors 6502

My Googlesync setup stop pushing about 4 days ago somethings up with it not working anymore. I just deleted it and set up my gmail to fetch again for now without going thru an exchange account.....:confused:

10. Mystikal macrumors 68020

Mystikal

My gmail account has been lagging by up to a few hours on my phone recently. The notifications (from gpush) are correct but mail doesnt show up for a while.

11. galanoth macrumors member

12. kage207 macrumors 6502a

I have gmail and mobile me account and both are working prefectly. No push for gmail though. And MobileMe i just signed up for but is still great. I love it.

13. yukong macrumors newbie

Well I have been having the same problems as mentioned above. My gmail was working flawlessly for the past month or so, then just 3-4 days ago it quit. Every now and then it will work, but most of the time, the emails are 3-4 hours late showing up.

14. tempusfugit macrumors 65816

if you have google apps you can use gmail and have push.

you need to set the account up as a MS exchange account. This was google's workaround because apple refuses to be civil with them.

Just enter the address, you'll have to try it once and not successfully connect before it adds a server field. use m.google.com

open up MOBILE safari and type m.google.com and hit the link at the top of the page that says something like "using google apps?"

It'll have you log in and then hit the sync button in the GREEN area, not in the larger white area below. You can set calendar syncing up there and other stuff. Meanwhile, your email will be pushed, along with contacts and calendars.

Also if you have the google mobile app on your iphone you can enter your google apps domain information there, and be able to link to mobile web-based applications such as docs, etc. Very useful if you use google apps for business.

15. bmstrong macrumors 6502a

16. MRTaylor macrumors newbie

Same issues as mentioned above, push has worked great for me since it came out but 3-4 days ago it died. I noticed also when I have a browser window open it doesn't change the tab name to include the (1) when a new email is received. Not sure if it's related but I have to manually click on my inbox for it to show. It used to just auto refresh I guess.

Edit:
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=6f43186c34b6e0b7&hl=en
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=2bcf1fd3142e1956&hl=en
    http://www.google.com/support/forum/p/Google+Mobile/thread?tid=31539c68d7aedd35&hl=en