Push, Push, Push

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by GuillaumeB, Mar 8, 2008.

1. GuillaumeB macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

hey all,

So well, do you guys think that push will be reserved to Exchange users...which basically means pro users.

Is there any chance that I can use Push on my Gmail address and if so how?
    My gf has a BB Pearl and can receive her gmail as Push. What will it take for me to get that on my iPhone?

2. FarSeide macrumors 6502a

FarSeide

You could already get push email for Gmail IMAP right now using iPhone. The push email wil benefit corporate users that needs access to their Corp Email, Calendard, Contacts etc.

I cant wait since this is the only feature that I miss since dumping my BB.

3. toneloco2881 macrumors 6502

Either Google implementing some sort of push functionality within their existing IMAP infrastructure, or getting your mail forwarded to somewhere like mail2web LIVE; which has a free exchange account with push. Or you can also hope that Apple licenses the BB Connect software from RIM, as they have licensed Exchange from Microsoft.

The only caveat with the mail2web free account, is that you can't set outgoing mail to be from your Gmail account, so it shows up from your mail2web address if you respond from your phone.

4. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

I have setup a Mail2Web account but I dont see what settings I should be using to set it up on the iPhone... where can I find that?

thanks it looks like a more reliable idea than forwarding to Yahoo

5. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Yahoo! Push email works well for me. It's integrated into the iphone. Why not use that? At the least, you could forward a copy of all your email to a free yahoo account and get it pushed to your phone that way.

6. GuillaumeB thread starter macrumors 6502

GuillaumeB

No it's down 95% of the time, I tried it the last two weeks on two different account, Yahoo is everything but reliable as far as Push is concerned

7. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

It's been very reliable for me for the last few months. I get my email on the phone before it shows up in my open yahoo mail window on my desktop which autochecks every few minutes. I've tested it and I get the mail within seconds.

8. Knowlege Bomb macrumors 601

Knowlege Bomb

I too get my email on my phone before it's retreived by my Mail app on the iMac. Yahoo has always been reliable for me.