Push vs. Fetch

Discussion in 'iOS 6' started by raf66, Oct 10, 2012.

1. raf66 macrumors regular

Hi everyone. I was hoping someone could help me with this.

I've got personal and professional email accounts. I'd like to have my business email account "push" to my phone automatically as I get emails from clients, colleagues, etc. But I'd prefer that my personal email account only "fetch" to my phone once per hour.

I've located the controls for this (at least I thought I did) in Settings, but "push" and "fetch" seem to be an either/or setting for all email accounts rather than allowing me to set them up individually. Am I overthinking this and making it harder than it has to be, or am I simply stuck with EITHER "push" or "fetch" with no ability to separate how each account received emails?

2. nepalisherpa macrumors 68020

nepalisherpa

Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data>Advanced

3. JS82712 macrumors 6502a

JS82712

Go into settings, mail, fetch new data, turn on push, then set your fetch frequency, then scroll down to advanced, then customize how you want each account to behave (push / fetch)

4. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

You are over thinking it. Push can be set to ON and Fetch can be set to hourly. It states on the screen " The schedule below is used when push is off or for applications which do not support push."
    That is the key. Only Apple's mobile Me or iCloud or yahoo mail or Gmail accounts set up as exchange or actual MS Exchange accounts support push. The rest will be fetched every hour or however you set it.

5. mKTank macrumors 68000

mKTank

Isn't push always better than fetch for battery life?

6. maccompatible macrumors 6502

It really depends on how often you get emails.

7. cyks macrumors 68020

cyks

It depends on how often you receive email.

If you received several emails a minute, it'd be MUCH better on battery to get them all at once every 15 minutes instead of having the phone constantly lit up.

If you only received one or two messages a day, then push would be better.

8. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the responses. I had already explored the Advanced area but the only email account showing that "push" was even an option was my Yahoo account, while my business account (a Gmail account) did not have a "push" option.

So when I go under Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars, I turned on "push" in the section labeled Fetch New Data. I didn't go any deeper when I got the phone and everything was simply being delivered to my email addresses as they were sent. However, getting personal emails pushed to my phone throughout the day is: 1) a battery drain; and 2) a time waster while I'm at work. What I had never paid any attention to, however, was the paragraph marked Fetch under Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, which explains that push only works for accounts that support it, and for those accounts that don't, you're on a fetch schedule. A ha. Now we're getting somewhere. Maybe my account(s) don't allow push. But, aside from iCloud, the only account which identifies push even being an option under the Advanced tag for each account is my Yahoo account. Yet all my accounts, even ones not being listed as supporting push", are pushing.

I'm a little confused but I guess the end result is that I'm stuck with either ALL of them pushing (even the ones which allegedly don't support it) or none of them pushing because if I turn off the Push toggle under Settings>Mail, Contacts, Calendars>Fetch New Data, won't ALL accounts operate under the fetch schedule only? Likewise, if I leave the Push toggle on, won't ALL accounts that can push, push?

BTW, mrapplegate, what's an exchange account? I've got a couple of little-used and older personal email accounts that still get the stray email every now and again (Gmail and Hotmail), my main personal email account (Yahoo) and my business email account, which is also a Gmail account. Do any of these qualify as an exchange account? Does an exchange account have more options? Is there a reason why my Yahoo account is the ONLY one that has the push option?

Thanks again for your guidance.

9. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

An Exchange account is an email account that connects to a business Exchange server. Gmail that is pushed has to be set up as an Exchange Account in order for it to push mail since it uses MS Active sync to push the mail.
    Yahoo is one of the few that has native push since the first iPhone.
    If your gmail accounts don't say push then you must have set them up as IMAP. Any gmail account can be set as exchange.

10. raf66 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the explanation. I think I'm going to leave the exchange-thing alone for right now. Frankly the only accounts that are ACTUALLY being pushed immediately to my phone are the gmail and hotmail accounts (the ones where push doesn't even seem to be an option), while Yahoo, the account that is SUPPOSED to allow push, takes its own sweet time to get to my phone.

I appreciate the help.

11. mrapplegate macrumors 68030

If you set up your gmail account by pressing the pretty Gmail button in Add Account, then it is not push. You need to follow the instructions I linked to to set up gmail for push. Any other way is just gmail via IMAP.

12. kicko macrumors 65816

yes Gmail needs to be setup as an exchange account but alternatively you can download the official Gmail app in the app store and it will utilize push as would any other standard app.