Push vs Notifications......

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by fuzion11, Nov 5, 2009.

1. fuzion11 macrumors 65816

fuzion11

My question is as follows...

Some games I've installed offer to send Sounds, Alerts and Badges...my question is, do I need to have push enabled in order to receive the alerts and such from these games?

Or will the alerts and such be sent to my phone regardless of the fact that Push is turned on or off??

2. Clete2 macrumors 65816

Clete2

Let me clarify. Are you saying: Will the notifications be sent but ignored by the phone?

My answer to that is probably not. I assume that it uploads your preferences. It would be highly inefficient for Apple and AT&T to send notifications just to have them ignored. I'm pretty sure, for efficiency, it won't send at all.

3. pablo7 macrumors 6502

Under push notifications it tells you what would be sent to your phone when you. Enable it I belive app badges is one. Also in the apps themselves it will have a setting wether or not you want to recieve notificatios from that app.

4. kicko macrumors 65816

If i understand you correctly, the answer is no. The push switch your referring to is an email option to have your mail pushed. I have mine turned off. I do have my notifications turned on and i get the notifications for all my apps and games.

5. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

If, in the Settings app, you have Notifications turned on, you can receive push notifications for an app if they are enabled in the app.

Go here:

Settings --> Mail, Contacts, Calendars --> Fetch New Data

The "Push" setting here is for the Apple built-in Mail, Contacts, and Calendar apps. This setting affects no other apps or the phones ability to receive push notifications for third-party apps.

S-

6. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, technically push applies to Mail and SMS.

Push notifications is for third party applications. This is turned on and off in Settings and is dependent on the application. If you click ok when it asks you in the application, then it will turn it on for that specific application. So if you go to another application and click don't allow, it will turn it off for that other application.

7. ViViDboarder macrumors 68040

ViViDboarder

Push does not apply to SMS. Only to notifications pushed by Apple. SMS is a different protocol from AT&T.

8. mackmgg macrumors 65816

mackmgg

They are the same. Both Push and Notifications are short for Push Notifications on the iPhone

9. sidewinder macrumors 68020

sidewinder

They may be the same in how they work, but they are not the same as far as how they are controlled. Look at post #5 in this thread.

S-

10. Niiro13 macrumors 68000

Well, I was going with the general idea of push which is the originating data provider initiating the transaction as opposed to the client. While SMS is done differently than how push is defined, it works the same way and can be grouped the same to the average consumer.

It's different because Mail actually has the kind of push where mail is pushed to you. Try getting new mail pushed to you, turning off the internet, then entering the mail app. You'll still get the subject and the sender.

Now try doing that for like beejive. When you enter the app, nothing changes, because all that was pushed to you was the notification. You won't actually get the IM until you reconnect back to the beejive server.

EDIT: What sidewinder said.