Push - While Asleep

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by abnospam, Jul 28, 2008.

1. abnospam macrumors regular

abnospam

So, I have had my phone about 2 days now. One thing I noticed is that if the phone is asleep, the push email doesn't come through and beep. Only after I wake the phone does it catch up on new emails. Is this working as designed?

How can I know if I have a new email if it only updates when awake?

(also, I wish this thing had a new email notification like Blackberry's right asterisks)

2. BOSS10L macrumors 6502a

Mine does. Has with both my 2G and 3G iPhones. Hmm...I don't know. Maybe try switching it to a different setting and then setting it back? :confused:

Good luck.

3. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

To be honest, all my pushed email has arrived when the iPhone is asleep, whether it's in the dock, my pocket, or on the desk at work. It's always asleep.

The only time I have actually witness a pushed email arriving was on day one when i tested it.

Sometimes, message dependant, it can take a while to actually load the email, as you get the notification before the mail starts downloading, but other than that no delays.

But I do agree with you that the iPhone definately requires a better way of notifying you of a new email. At the mo all I get is a "ding" and one vibrate, that's it. I would prefer it it could pop up like when you get a new text message, if only to show who it's from and not necessarily any preview of the message itself.

4. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Also is it 1st Gen?
    2nd Gen (3G)?
    Jailbroken?
    Unlocked?
    etc.

5. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

It does work in the sleep mode, else it wouldn't be push if you have to keep your phone on all the time. Check your settings, make sure setting is correct.

As far as beep goes, I actually prefer it being discreet like that =).

6. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

it is 2 gen. I am also on exchange.

does it beep when asleep and getting a push email?
    or is it downloaded silently?

ahh, another thing...
    I am in my home office in the basement and I am primarily wifi down here. Could it be wifi is off while asleep?

7. ParishYoung macrumors 6502a

Mine beeps once, and vibrates at the same time.

Then it silently downloads the email.

I have no experience of Exchange I'm afraid, only MobileMe

8. GNice macrumors 6502

Mine beeps...so far I've had really good luck with push/exchange support. Emails arrive instantly and I do get the "new email" beep...even when asleep.

9. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

yeah, I am thinking I have no signal and wifi shuts off while asleep.
    this means I get no push email. When I wake up, it gets a wifi signal and then I get the beep.

10. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

Do you normally get no signal? even if it drops wi-fi in sleep mode, even if you don't get 3G you'd at least get edge so you should still get push that way..

11. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

not at all. maybe this is a battery saving measure?

12. FSUSem1noles macrumors 68000

FSUSem1noles

right, but once it drops the wi-fi it should still hope on AT&T's network either via 3G or Edge enabaling you to still get push..

13. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

that assumes I can get a signal, and in my basement, I can not.
    can anyone else confirm wifi shuts off while asleep?

14. FJR macrumors regular

Wi-Fi definitely shuts off while asleep. I am not aware of any way to change this either.

15. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

16. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Almost 100% positive wifi shuts off while the phone is asleep.

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Push and WiFi are not compatible on any phone.

That's because when WiFi is off while the phone is sleeping, it's really off. Cellular radios, on the other hand, are always waiting for a call, unless completely turned off.

18. ubersalad macrumors 6502a

Ya, having wifi on while you sleep is as dumb as having location service on...speaking of which, when are they going to fix that dumb bug?

19. abnospam thread starter macrumors regular

abnospam

reading the apple forums, I am starting to think the issue is my PIN lock. When the PIN lock activates, email push stops. I actually do get notified when asleep but before my PIN lock (15 mins).

Any replicate this?

20. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

No WiFi does not shut off while asleep.
    Yes when you have no Service but wifi is on, you will only get e-mail in the fetch 15 minute interval. I am in the basement of a building all day (20' below ground) I get no service, but am connected to our wiFi. I get MM only when it fetches.

21. sibruk macrumors 6502a

I don't know why you are adamant that WiFi doesn't switch off in sleep, bbotte. But, on my iPhone at least, the WiFi does seem to switch itself off after it has been asleep for a few minutes - it takes a few seconds for the WiFi to click back in from 3G after sleep, and my Airport Extreme shows the device re-registering. Everything seems to point to the fact that it does indeed switch itself off!

I don't actually understand how Push can work in this scenario where you are going in and out of WiFi reception. IMAP IDLE (which, I know isn't supported on the iPhone) keeps a connection live based around the IP address. The supported Push technologies on the iPhone must either be updating the IP address of the iPhone on the server to maintain an open connection, or it must be done completely differently, or maybe Push notifications are just always delivered over 3G on the iPhone...

22. cjbryce macrumors 6502

cjbryce

That's the explanation that makes most sense to me.

Is it possibly the case that the PUSH notifications only come in on the cell signal and not over the WiFi connection? Otherwise some WiFi router firewalls would block the incoming (unrequested) notification packet.

Even if that's correct it still doesn't explain why notifications aren't being received if the phone is in "deep sleep"?

I think - I'm no expert:rolleyes:

23. nm1213 macrumors newbie

Check my thread out on this:
    http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=5929174&posted=1#post5929174

Call Apple and let them know. They told me they have not heard about this before and may want me to pay for enterprise support to troubleshoot Exchange. I doubt this is an Exchange server side problem though... more like an activesync bug like what happened with the HTC Kaiser. The link to that issue is linked in the above post.

N.

24. CD3660 macrumors 68040

CD3660

Completely agree.

To anyone who doubts this, just look at your screen when you wake your iPhone from sleep. The wi-fi symbol comes on and replaces the carrier signal (3G, EDGE, or GPRS) a second or two after everything else.

Incidentally, I receive mail whilst the iPhone is asleep. I often hear the notification.

25. bbotte macrumors 65816

bbotte

Just tested, iPhone 2G is asleep in the cradle for 15min, and I wake it up, no service, WiFi is 100% connected.

tested again and WiFi is disconnected when off the cradle. You are right. My suggestion is to leave it in the cradle in your basement.