Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
No but going across platforms it's easy to find I'm Wayne Sadler and live in Lincolnshire, UK
That reply to you was an example of the behaviour that's unfortunately so common online. I immediately understood what you were referring to (as would anyone else who isn't a newcomer) because I've engaged with you elsewhere on the Internet under my actual name.

Reactions: Dronecatcher

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
That reply to you was an example of the behaviour that's unfortunately so common online. I immediately understood what you were referring to (as would anyone else who isn't a newcomer) because I've engaged with you elsewhere on the Internet under my actual name.

I do understand why most people choose to be anonymous online but I'm past caring - if someone wants to say I said such and such x number of years ago so be it - I have been known to get things wrong and/or even change my opinion :D

The way things are going we're all going to fall foul of someone's high moral standards eventually and alternative online naming conventions aren't going to save anyone.

TheShortTimer

macrumors 68030
Mar 27, 2017
London, UK
I do understand why most people choose to be anonymous online but I'm past caring - if someone wants to say I said such and such x number of years ago so be it - I have been known to get things wrong and/or even change my opinion :D

The way things are going we're all going to fall foul of someone's high moral standards eventually and alternative online naming conventions aren't going to save anyone.
Wholeheartedly agree and I'd take it as a badge of honour if any prospective employer rejected me because of my social media posts - if anything it would merely signal that the environment wouldn't have been right place for me anyway. :D

m1maverick

macrumors 65816
Nov 22, 2020
I assume you are referencing my post where I asked "Is Dronecatcher your birth name"? If so perhaps you missed the smiley face which was meant to indicate humor?

Dronecatcher

macrumors 603
Jun 17, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
I assume you are referencing my post where I asked "Is Dronecatcher your birth name"? If so perhaps you missed the smiley face which was meant to indicate humor?

I assumed it was a smiley...even though it appeared like this is in Arctic Fox..
Screen shot 2021-01-15 at 15.28.15.png

I signed up for one forum in 2001. I was part of a group of people who were there to help and foster the learning of a particular brand of software.

In 2002, the company that makes that software released a version of it that was highly controversial. The forums erupted and became a literal cesspit of hate and vitriol. It reached a point that rather than trying to moderate/clean up the mess the company simply chose to shut off the forum entirely. It did not return for two years. I rejoined in 2004 and many of the old users found their way back.

:coughs: Arkquay :coughs again:

• Haha
Reactions: Amethyst1

MacFoxG4

macrumors 6502
Nov 22, 2019
I see quite a few replies on this thread talking about school\college. It seems the general consensus is that you can't use these computers well for that. Why? Is it the website and online portal's your school uses for turning in assignments and stuff? I have noticed that (not unlike facebook) those web sites are poorly developed and don't work well on modern systems either. That said, there is no reason that web research, note taking, paper\report writing isn't feasible on basically any computer. When I was in high school, my main portable was an iBook G4 till I got a 2007 C2D MBP in 2013. (I graduated HS in 2013). There was no reason my iBook G4 didn't work. At one point I also got a dual 800Mhz QS and used that at home during the same time period.
For anything that needs to be turned in through a poorly built web portal, you can stick it on a flash drive real quick and upload it using a modern computer.

In 2018, I went to Police academy. We were allowed (recommended actually) to bring a laptop. I brought a 15" PowerBook G4 (Aluminum 1.5Ghz). It worked perfectly. I could take notes, and even access their webportal via Wifi. Not to mention the it has the best keyboard I've ever used. I even had a classmate comment that it was "faster then their computer", to which I laughed and said something was probably wrong with his.
My point is that these are very basic uses for any computer and I'm surprised people are having problems using them for school, unless they need a modern machine, either for real power or specialized apps. I'd imagine that applies to photographers, video editors, developers, ect.
My current degree program requires me to use modern software like the latest Netbeans IDE and JDK or Adobe CC apps such as Adobe XD, so that's why I can't use my Macs for school. My school's web portal also requires two-factor authentication and I don't know if TFF plays nice with that sort of thing. I haven't had to write a paper longer than 2-3 pages in years, but when/if the time comes that I have to do so again, I'll mostly likely use one of my Macs to write it on because the keyboard on the Windows 10 laptop I use for college assignments and modern software is just awful.

Raging Dufus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2018
Kansas USA
I see quite a few replies on this thread talking about school\college. It seems the general consensus is that you can't use these computers well for that. Why? Is it the website and online portal's your school uses for turning in assignments and stuff? ... For anything that needs to be turned in through a poorly built web portal, you can stick it on a flash drive real quick and upload it using a modern computer.
I joined this forum about the same time I entered law school. At the time (2018) I had every intention of using a 1.67 GHz PowerBook G4 DLSD for my everyday, because in looking at the university's requirements for their online portal and other services, OS X Leopard was officially supported. Hard to believe (and it has since changed) but less than 3 years ago Leopard still met all of their security/printing/other requirements. As a PowerPC geek, this thrilled me to no end!

But my joy was short-lived. I had to quickly source an Intel Mac, or get a PC, because I soon learned the law school's requirements were more stringent than those of the university at large. One thing stood in my way: their proctored exam software. I wrote about that here. Long story short, I picked up a 2007 MBP just so I could run El Capitan - which, it turned out, still didn't play well with their exam software. So I ended up with a PC laptop running Windows 8.1 Pro, which I used (and still use) almost exclusively for the purpose of taking these exams.

Then, with the pandemic came remote classes, and I again had no choice but to use the school's preferred vendor, Zoom. I was using my 17" 2006 MBP for that, until Zoom upped their system requirements to a minimum of Mavericks. At the time, I wasn't aware of parrotgeek's hack to get Mavericks onto these systems, so it was back to the PC laptop or some of the various other x86 PC and Mac systems I have.

Believe me, I'd love to use a PowerBook for all that. I would if I could. Unfortunately, PowerBooks can't use Zoom, and transferring/uploading via a flash drive and a newer computer just isn't practical with timed exams and some of the other law school requirements. So, Zoom and exams leave me no choice but to use something newer for my school needs. That's my experience.

eyoungren

macrumors Penryn
Aug 31, 2011
:coughs: Arkquay :coughs again:
LOL!!!! No, not that one. I don't even know what that is. :)

Quark Forums shortly after the launch of QuarkXPress 5. XPress 5 was expected to be OS X compatible - it wasn't. Users were extremely angry and the manner in which Fred Ebrahimi dealt with this (by insulting customers) was the single biggest factor in driving the dominance of Adobe InDesign.

Quark tried to recover by rushing XPress 6 but by then it was too late and the code was still OS9 with an OS X wrapper. The forums relaunched when they launched QXP 6.0.

Quark has never recovered.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.