pushViewController help

Discussion in 'iOS Programming' started by John Baughman, Feb 13, 2010.

1. John Baughman macrumors member

I created a user interface a while ago using presentModalViewController to animate the view from the bottom up. Today I decided to change it so that it animates from right to left with pushViewController, but I can't figure out what I have to do make it work. I think it has to do with how I created the first View....

Code:
    - (void)profile
    {

ProfileViewController *profileViewController = [[ProfileViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@"ProfileViewController"	bundle:nil];
    	UINavigationBar *profileNavigationBar = [[UINavigationBar alloc] initWithFrame: CGRectMake(0,0,480,52)];
    	profileNavigationBar.autoresizingMask = UIViewAutoresizingFlexibleWidth;

UINavigationItem *navItem = [[UINavigationItem alloc] initWithTitle: @"Traveler's Profile"];
    	navItem.rightBarButtonItem = [[UIBarButtonItem alloc] initWithBarButtonSystemItem: UIBarButtonSystemItemDone target:self action: @selector(profileDidDismiss)];

[profileNavigationBar pushNavigationItem: navItem animated: NO];

[profileViewController.view addSubview:profileNavigationBar];

[self presentModalViewController:profileViewController animated:YES];

[profileViewController release];
    	[profileNavigationBar release];
    	[navItem release];
    }

The above code executes when the user taps a "Profile" button in a view without a navigation bar. The view animates from the bottom up.

The ProfileView is a TableView and when the user taps one of it's rows I am executing the following code...

Code:
    - (void)tableView:(UITableView *)tableView didSelectRowAtIndexPath:(NSIndexPath *)indexPath {

if((indexPath.section == 1) && (indexPath.row == 0)){
    		LocationSearchViewController *locationSearchViewController = [[LocationSearchViewController alloc] initWithNibName:@"LocationSearchViewController"	bundle:nil];
    		locationSearchViewController.delegate = self;		
    		UITableViewCell *cell = [myTableView cellForRowAtIndexPath:indexPath];
    		locationSearchViewController.defaultLocation = cell.detailTextLabel.text;

//[self.navigationController  pushViewController:locationSearchViewController animated:YES];
    		[self presentModalViewController:locationSearchViewController animated:YES];

[locationSearchViewController release];
             }
    }

Using presentModalView everything works as advertised with the locationSearchView animating from the bottom up.

I thought all I needed to do to change the animation to be from right to left was to replace the presentModalViewController with pushViewController, which I have commented out in the above code sample. It does not work, however. I do not get any errors but when I tap the row nothing happens.

Is this because I used presentModalViewController to display the profileView? What do I have to do to be able to have the profileView animate bottom up and the subsequent locationSearchViewController animate right to left.

Thanks,

John

2. firewood macrumors 604

3. John Baughman thread starter macrumors member

Ahh, I think there in lies the problem. I don't see that I did. Looks like I just initiated a UINavigationBar and added it to the view as a subview then presented the view with presentModalController. I can't push another view onto a stack that doesn't exist.

I think to do what I want to do I have to fundamentally change the way I am adding the navigation bar to the profileView.

Thanks for your help, I think I can figure this one out from here.

John