Pushy AT&T rep (blackBerry)

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by nzmc36, Jul 20, 2009.

1. nzmc36 macrumors member

Well I phoned up today to get the details on upgrading my iPhone (original) and asked about the new 3GS. The rep wouldn't leave it alone about 'other offerings'.... "don't forget we have other brands of smart phone" and "what about...." 4 or 5 times. Once or twice okay, but 4 or 5 times, after I said "no, I want the iPhone".... seemed to me she was either on BB's payroll, or dislikes the iPhone (a lot). P

2. QCassidy352 macrumors G3

QCassidy352

how strange. why would she care? Did they not have the 3GS in stock or something?

3. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I hear ya' on that one. My friend works at an AT&T corporate store, just down the street from an Apple Store and he's constantly pushing BB everything. They must get kick-backs or commission on those things. What's funnier though, is that he owns a JB 3GS iPhone....:p:p:p

4. pelicanflip macrumors 6502a

Maybe she takes her job a bit too seriously and wants to make sure you know ALL of your options.

That does sound a bit weird though. I've gotten a few reps that offer the same thing two or three times, but by that time, they've gotten the gist that I don't care and just drop it.

5. Nickday89 macrumors regular

If the AT&T store doesn't have the iPhone in stock or it's not sold there, this happens. There's 4 AT&T stores around me and when I got my first iPhone, 3 of the 4 didn't sell it. Each store I went into recommended "similar products" and when I'd turn them down saying I was there for the iPhone and the iPhone only, they'd ask me why in particular I'd rather the iPhone over products X,Y,Z. And I'd give them my reasons. One of them was my liking the touchscreen and not having an external keyboard and the rep. told me something along the line of, "well this has BOTH an external keyboard AND touchscreen with keyboard. If you wanted to, you can actually basically make this just as good as the iPhone, if you also purchased these products as well, which are $15.00, $50.00 and $120.00" So, I could have gotten a very similar phone, if I decided to spend the base price of the phone (which was I think 25 dollars less than the iPhone at that time period--November 07) plus an additional $185.00...

6. aprofetto macrumors 6502a

aprofetto

Ask her why my brothers BB Bold keeps freezing.

7. Carl G35c macrumors 6502

1. they dont make as much on iPhone purchases as other devices
    2. they did'nt carry/have instock iPhones and wanted to continue to make a sale by offering something else

8. normwood macrumors 6502a

normwood

Number One Rule in Retail: Sell whatcha got!

Plus they are probably getting spifs on the Blackberry products because they are collecting dust.

Steve

9. bluedukies8 macrumors 6502

bluedukies8

I used to work for AT&T. There had to be no iPhones in stock, because if they did they would sell it to you instantly! Its and easy commission because you have to have the data plan on an iPhone. With the Blackberry you can have the data plan on just long enough to get your rebate back and then take it off and that rep will lose the commission he made the day you bought it.

The only other thing that I could think of is that there is a contest going on to sell Blackberries. The rep was prolly trying to win. They had those all the time when I worked there. I wouldn't care about the contest....iPhone wins hands down!

10. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I have never had a problem with pushy people

I tend to just cut them off if they continue trying to push something to me....just a simple "no thanks" and "please move on"

If they refuse to comply after that, I hang up and try again

11. Lakerfan210 macrumors regular

12. Unspoken Demise macrumors 68040

Unspoken Demise

13. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

[​IMG]