Pushy CS Rep -- What do I do?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by drs68, Jun 7, 2010.

1. drs68 macrumors member

drs68

I recently graduated high school and will be attending college in the fall and decided a few months ago to ditch my Vaio (even though it's not very old) for a brand new Macbook Pro to start off college with. About a month and a half ago, I called Apple customer service to ask a few quick questions about the educational discount and to see if they were going to have another back-to-school deal this summer. One thing led to another and the CS rep I was talking to was pressuring me to buy the computer. I kindly told him that I wouldn't have the money until after graduation so he decided to create and save a shopping cart with everything that we had discussed in it and emailed all the info to me. He told me he would call me when I was prepared to buy and set up a date and time when he would call me to finalize the purchase. The only problem is the fact that I didn't want any of this to take place in the first place. I absolutely do not want to buy this computer over the phone and would much rather do it online myself so I can actually browse on my own and look at what I'm adding on to this order. To make matters worse, I won't have the money or desire to buy it until August and he's calling me this week. Did I mention the fact that the majority of what is in the order that he saved for me are additional add-ons that he attempted to talk me into like an HDMI adapter and one year of One to One sessions? To make a long story short, how do I tell this guy that I didn't want to buy the computer through him in the first place and that he'll have to get his commission or whatever elsewhere?

2. iphone3gss macrumors member

3. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

Tell him thank you but you've changed your mind, you're not going to buy a new computer and please DO NOT CALL ANYMORE...DO NOT WAIT FOR HIM TO RESPOND, and just hang up the phone...if you need to, sign in to your Apple account and delete whatever he had in your cart...end of story...:)
    Trust me on this...do not let him talk, do not engage him further...do not ramble on or over explain...do not feel guilty...be polite, direct and simply say what I told you to say quickly and ONLY SAY IT ONCE, THEN HANG UP...write it down and read it if you have to...you don't owe this pushy sales geek anything...

4. exe163 macrumors regular

Is this really that hard? I am pretty sure the guy is trying to help you more than anything else. Just kindly refuse his offer and I am pretty sure he will understand.

Why did you accept his offer to call you in the first place?

5. iSpoody 1243 macrumors 6502

omg sales reps are a b!tch!
    if your either shy or uninformed about an item they will rob you blind.
    tell them 'don't want it!!!' and hang up, if he still pursues you get his name and file a complaint.

6. lcseds macrumors 6502a

If/when he calls back, just simply tell him you swung by the local Apple store and bought one there. And thanks for the help. If you say I'm undecided, waiting, need to save more money, etc they will keep going. If you told them you already bought one with Applecare, a Cinema display, keyboard, mouse, and iTouch, and printer, you've taken away all their motivation. They have no business with you at that point.

7. bigjobby macrumors 65816

Stop being a nice guy/gal and tell them how it is ie. request to stop calling, delete your details off their database etc. You do not need to give them any excuses whatsoever and the longer you are engaged on the phone, the more opportunities you give them to rope you in so try and keep your conversation short and to the point. Sometimes in life you have to be blunt to people like these otherwise it will happen time and time again.

8. drs68 thread starter macrumors member

drs68

Thanks guys! All your answers helped. I'm pretty sure I'm just going to tell the guy that buying it isn't a feasible option anymore and that if it ever is in the future I'd much rather do it myself, thank him, and then hang up. I'll make the purchase myself in August (almost positive about that, even though I'm probably gonna pay up for this new iPhone too). Thanks for the help!

9. mingoglia macrumors 6502

This is the route I'd take. Why tell the truth when a perfectly good lie will do?

10. lcseds macrumors 6502a

Of course lying to a salesperson that would NEVER lie to you might be the wrong thing to do.........
    nah.

11. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

That's a very good idea. Do it your way. Don't take any of the horrible advice some of the people here offered. Some are telling you to be a real jerk and hang up in the CS reps face and that's totally unnecessary. The CS reps are not on commission, they may however get credit for each customer that buys from them. Doesn't sound like the rep was being rude, just aggressive and that's normal for most of the sales world. Just think how it would feel if it were you who got hung up on for doing your job? Again, your way is the right way. :)

12. Ronnoco macrumors 68030

Ronnoco

There is nothing wrong with saying "no thank you" and hanging up. CS reps are trained to try and keep you on the phone and make the sale. He doesn't have to be rude. Simply saying "I don't need you to help me, but thank you and goodbye is perfectly suitable and proper.