Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hammten

macrumors regular
Jul 7, 2008
Im not sure what the reason for it is, but im pretty sure the 3tb drive has 3 platters, so your TC is reading only one of them... Bummer

colmaclean

macrumors 68000
Jan 6, 2004
Berlin

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
It may be that the firmware can only read up to a 2GB drive, so whatever counter keeps track of the number of blocks wraps around when you stick a 3TB drive in. Old Sky Satellite boxes in the UK used to have the same issue if you stuck too big a hard disk into them (they came shipped with 300GB ones initially).

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
mmmm... jessica.'s beer...
It may be that the firmware can only read up to a 2GB drive, so whatever counter keeps track of the number of blocks wraps around when you stick a 3TB drive in. Old Sky Satellite boxes in the UK used to have the same issue if you stuck too big a hard disk into them (they came shipped with 300GB ones initially).
Its running the newest firmware, 7.5.2...

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
Its running the newest firmware, 7.5.2...

That doesn't mean each generation doesn't have different firmware, just that they all could be at the same version. There could well be hardware limitations in the controller inside that means the drive can't address above 2TB, but unless somebody wants to tear their TC down, hunt out the SATA controller chips and look up model numbers, then disassemble the firmware and analyse what Apple are doing, we won't know. ;)

Alternatively, wait until somebody sticks a different make and model of 3TB drive in their older TC and see what happens.

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
That doesn't mean each generation doesn't have different firmware, just that they all could be at the same version. There could well be hardware limitations in the controller inside that means the drive can't address above 2TB, but unless somebody wants to tear their TC down, hunt out the SATA controller chips and look up model numbers, then disassemble the firmware and analyse what Apple are doing, we won't know. ;)

Alternatively, wait until somebody sticks a different make and model of 3TB drive in their older TC and see what happens.
Well that is part of the issue, it seems OLDER TC's can address all 3TB just fine... the thread I linked to in the first post details that. One user bought an older TC just to format the 3TB drive to then swap in his newer one... And even if there were a 2TB limit in mine, shouldn't I see 1.8TB or so instead of 744GB?

fat jez

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2010
Glasgow, UK
And even if there were a 2TB limit in mine, shouldn't I see 1.8TB or so instead of 744GB?

Not if there was a variable to store the number of blocks available on the disk. A 3TB disk might have a greater number of blocks than would fit in this counter, so it might only show a partial value. There are any number of programming or hardware reasons why this might happen. There are plenty of PC bios's out there that won't boot from a 3TB drivel, for example. Here's an example of somebody showing symptoms in Windows that are very similar to yours - note the capacity they can see.

http://www.evga.com/forums/tm.aspx?m=882909&mpage=1

And a support Article from Seagate about systems that cannot see beyond 2.2TB

http://seagate.custkb.com/seagate/crm/selfservice/search.jsp?DocId=218615&NewLang=en

basically, you're trying to do something that's not supported

hitekalex

macrumors 68000
Feb 4, 2008
Chicago, USA
Well that is part of the issue, it seems OLDER TC's can address all 3TB just fine... the thread I linked to in the first post details that. One user bought an older TC just to format the 3TB drive to then swap in his newer one... And even if there were a 2TB limit in mine, shouldn't I see 1.8TB or so instead of 744GB?

Yeah, it's a known issue. Amazing that Apple used lower quality SATA controllers in 3rd-gen Time Capsules, as compared to 2nd-gen. So you basically need to buy a 2nd gen A1254 model TC, if you want 3TB of storage "on the cheap".

I just upgraded my 1TB 3rd-gen time capsule to 2TB. That worked fine, no great surprise.

joegomolski

macrumors 6502
Apr 28, 2006
So CA
EUREKA! This is what worked for me.

In disk utility rather than partioning the 3TB drive. Instead go to the tab, at the top of the disk utility bar, and select erase.

For some reason when I selected the erase option, rather than partition, it initialized correctly.

When you selected the erase tab, the drive is erased, and is then partioned.

Radad48

macrumors newbie
Feb 9, 2009
Has a solution been found.

Hey nikhsub1 have you solved the mystery of the 3 TB not formatting in the TC properly. I recently tried the same procedure in a 3rd gen TC using a WD Green Caviar 3 TB drive and can't get the TC to recognize the 3TB capacity. Same issue as yours.

Please let me know if you found a work around.

Thanks

nikhsub1

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Jun 19, 2007
Hey nikhsub1 have you solved the mystery of the 3 TB not formatting in the TC properly. I recently tried the same procedure in a 3rd gen TC using a WD Green Caviar 3 TB drive and can't get the TC to recognize the 3TB capacity. Same issue as yours.

Please let me know if you found a work around.

Thanks
No, I ended up trading a friend for a 2TB and that worked fine...

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.