Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MEJHarrison

macrumors 68000
Feb 2, 2009
So what is my option then? I have to move these movies to the 'photo' app and then get an app to lock them? That means I have to sync the folder which is just stupid. I hate syncing. I would rather drag and drop.

Go check out some of the apps listed. Read their description in the app store. Stop asking us to do your basic research. Your question has been answered repeatedly. You've been given a solution that works for many other people. You've even been directed to several apps, by name.

Are you looking for someone to just do the work for you? You don't need to sync. You don't need to drag and drop. You NEED to open the app store and start answering some questions for yourself. That or listen to the people who are trying to help.

It's obvious from your replies that you have no clue how these apps work. So go find out.

PNutts

macrumors 601
Jul 24, 2008
Pacific Northwest, US
How can I put a password on the iPhone video app?

I found an alternative, go into the restrictions on your phone and create a passcode. Scroll to videos, set to off. When you go back to your home screen, none of your videos will show unless you turn off restrictions.

I'm running 7.1 beta 5 and it's a little different. In Restrictions you can select the ratings of allowed content. One of the selections for Movies is "Don't allow Movies" (which is basically the requirement here).

I like the way Apple did this because it I can have my R rated movies password protected (restrictions) but allow the kid's movies to be playable without a passcode. Also Movies and TV Shows can be rated differently.

It's not perfect but it gets the job done.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
I had this same question a while back. I found an alternative, go into the restrictions on your phone and create a passcode. Scroll to videos, set to off. When you go back to your home screen, none of your videos will show unless you turn off restrictions.
Worked perfectly thank you!

Went to restrictions > movies > selected do not allow movies.

Then when I went back to the stock video app it said 'No Content' - 'You can download videos from the iTunes Store.'

Turned off restrictions, my movies were back. These weren't movies from the iTunes store either. My own ripped movies.

Go check out some of the apps listed. Read their description in the app store. Stop asking us to do your basic research. Your question has been answered repeatedly. You've been given a solution that works for many other people. You've even been directed to several apps, by name.

Are you looking for someone to just do the work for you? You don't need to sync. You don't need to drag and drop. You NEED to open the app store and start answering some questions for yourself. That or listen to the people who are trying to help.

It's obvious from your replies that you have no clue how these apps work. So go find out.
How about you stop being rude?

Private Photo Vault which was recommended does NOT allow a password on the STOCK video app. That is what I was ASKING for.

Defender2010

Cancelled
Jun 6, 2010

Then when I went back to the stock video app it said 'No Content' - 'You can download videos from the iTunes Store.'

Turned off restrictions, my movies were back. These weren't movies from the iTunes store either. My own ripped movies.

Private Photo Vault which was recommended does NOT allow a password on the STOCK video app. That is what I was ASKING for.

By your tone of writing the whole way through this thread...YOU are the rude one. Your request cannot be granted. Why don't you just accept it.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011

And third party apps were recommended as an option because there is no way to password protect the stock Videos app (short of a jailbreak tweak perhaps). Seems like another alternative with a different workaround was later posted as far as using restrictions to simulate the hiding of videos, but that is also not the same thing as password protecting the app itself. Just alternative options essentially given that the specific thing that was asked about isn't possible natively in iOS.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
And third party apps were recommended as an option because there is no way to password protect the stock Videos app (short of a jailbreak tweak perhaps). Seems like another alternative with a different workaround was later posted as far as using restrictions to simulate the hiding of videos, but that is also not the same thing as password protecting the app itself. Just alternative options essentially given that the specific thing that was asked about isn't possible natively in iOS.
But restrictions is basically 'password protecting' the stock videos app.

You cannot remove the restriction without entering a PIN. So I don't need to put a phone lock on, but I can put a restriction lock on.

macrumors 68040
Dec 16, 2011

You cannot remove the restriction without entering a PIN. So I don't need to put a phone lock on, but I can put a restriction lock on.

What is so important that it must be stored in the iOS videos app AND be password protected and can't be stored in any password protected 3rd-party app.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008

It's not really. It's a whole runaround to get it working as a password app. No idea why you didn't just use a third party app. Much better solution for what you described. Just making it more awkward for yourself.

----------

By your tone of writing the whole way through this thread...YOU are the rude one. Your request cannot be granted. Why don't you just accept it.

You were told the answer to this by everyone who recommended a third party app. You've been rude an abrasive the whole way through. Don't start pointing fingers anywhere else. Folk here have been helpful to you - you just didn't get the answer you wanted to got stroppy.

RoboWarriorSr

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2013
If you have content on your device which you password protect it to prevent other users from seeing it, you shouldn't be sharing your device with someone else in the first place.

Serelus

macrumors 6502a
Aug 11, 2009
Vm9pZA
First Jailbreak your device.

Then install Lockdown Pro. It allows you to put a password on any app you desire.

C DM

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Oct 17, 2011
If you have content on your device which you password protect it to prevent other users from seeing it, you shouldn't be sharing your device with someone else in the first place.
The two aren't really mutually exclusive.

Sepultura

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 10, 2013
It's not really. It's a whole runaround to get it working as a password app. No idea why you didn't just use a third party app. Much better solution for what you described. Just making it more awkward for yourself.

----------

You were told the answer to this by everyone who recommended a third party app. You've been rude an abrasive the whole way through. Don't start pointing fingers anywhere else. Folk here have been helpful to you - you just didn't get the answer you wanted to got stroppy.
Actually I didn't get the right answer until the guy mentioned restrictions.

It even says in the OP 'password video app.'

All these third party apps only LOCK videos in the PHOTOS app.

Cancelled
Apr 14, 2008
Actually I didn't get the right answer until the guy mentioned restrictions.

It even says in the OP 'password video app.'

All these third party apps only LOCK videos in the PHOTOS app.

They don't lock the photos app. You CANNOT lock a single first party app. You haven't read much written to you. *slaps forehead*

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.