Put back/delete locked items in Time-Machine Backups

PajamaPants

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
Hi everyone,

some time ago I read something about manually erasing time-machine backups simple by going to the place where the backups exist and drag and drop them to the trash and erasing them. I was low on storage so I did it.

The thing is there were some locked system items in there. Locked items that I cannot erase, when I try to I get that warning message saying if I want to delete them, I press yes, then it starts erasing and eventually gets to negative erasing items, I already left it overnight to continue erasing but it was of no help.

I can't get the option to put back, and dragging and dropping them outside the trash only makes a copy of them.

I just want to get rid of waiting a lot before trying to erase other items and that full trash can.

Thanks in advance!

Bruno09

macrumors 68020
Aug 24, 2013
Far from here
Hi,

use Onyx or Maintenance (Titanium Software) to empty the Trash.

It should work.

(I have already used them successfully for the very same issue).

Weaselboy

Staff member
Jan 23, 2005
California
First do a full reboot, then try this to force empty the trash.

Force the Trash to empty using the Option key

This technique uses a hidden feature of Mac OS X to force the Trash to empty. Perform the following steps in the order specified:

Press and hold the mouse button on the Trash icon in the Dock. The context menu for Trash will display.

Press and hold the Option key or the Shift-Option keyboard combination, select Empty Trash from the context menu for Trash.

Release the keys pressed and held in step 2.

Bear

macrumors G3
Jul 23, 2002
Sol III - Terra
Hi everyone,

some time ago I read something about manually erasing time-machine backups
In the future, you should manually deleted the backups through the Time Machine interface. You select the particular backup you want to delete and then option-click (or right-click) and there will be a Delete Backup option. This is the easiest and safest way to manually delete individual backups.

PajamaPants

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 2, 2013
It worked, and at the time I found it odd that there wasn't a way to simply delete the backups and I searched and just found this one.

Thanks everyone!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.