Put back/delete locked items in Time-Machine Backups

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by PajamaPants, Dec 24, 2013.

1. PajamaPants macrumors member

Hi everyone,

some time ago I read something about manually erasing time-machine backups simple by going to the place where the backups exist and drag and drop them to the trash and erasing them. I was low on storage so I did it.

The thing is there were some locked system items in there. Locked items that I cannot erase, when I try to I get that warning message saying if I want to delete them, I press yes, then it starts erasing and eventually gets to negative erasing items, I already left it overnight to continue erasing but it was of no help.

I can't get the option to put back, and dragging and dropping them outside the trash only makes a copy of them.

I just want to get rid of waiting a lot before trying to erase other items and that full trash can.

Thanks in advance!

2. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

Hi,

use Onyx or Maintenance (Titanium Software) to empty the Trash.

It should work.

(I have already used them successfully for the very same issue).

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

First do a full reboot, then try this to force empty the trash.

4. Bear macrumors G3

In the future, you should manually deleted the backups through the Time Machine interface. You select the particular backup you want to delete and then option-click (or right-click) and there will be a Delete Backup option. This is the easiest and safest way to manually delete individual backups.

5. PajamaPants thread starter macrumors member

It worked, and at the time I found it odd that there wasn't a way to simply delete the backups and I searched and just found this one.

Thanks everyone!