Put code into Terminal so that the Green Cross Maximises like Windows - Undo it?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by oliverlester, Jan 3, 2010.

1. oliverlester macrumors newbie

Dear Mac Rumours Forum,

I have searched in many places but haven't found a solution.

When I bought my Mac, I read in a magazine how to make the green cross button act like it does on windows by maximising a program to full screen.

I can't remember what code I entered into terminal.

However, after using my Mac, I really don't like this feature anymore. Does anyone know how I can revert this to the original way of the green button acting?

Many thanks in advance

Oliver

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Find the command you used, enter it again, but this time change the "TRUE" to "FALSE." If you find the command and aren't sure, post the link to the article.

3. John89 macrumors regular

4. oliverlester thread starter macrumors newbie

thank you for your help so far!

Anyone with any other suggestions? I'm not sure if I will be able to find the magazine again!

5. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Osarkon

6. oliverlester thread starter macrumors newbie

7. ScoobyMcDoo macrumors 65816

I found some article here which had a command to change the zoom functionality for itunes only - is this the command you are talking about?

defaults write com.apple.iTunes zoom-to-window -bool YES

8. macrem macrumors 65816

macrem

There are a few programs that maximize by default. I think Mail might but am not at my Mac. I would like a command to make all windows zoom (no maximize).

9. oliverlester thread starter macrumors newbie

its not the command I used because the command made all programs green button maximise. Going through the magazines as we speak trying to find a solution :(

10. oliverlester thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank You!

GUYS!

Spent all night looking and I realised:

It was the itunes code I entered, not a catch all code.

I figured it out when I clicked the green button on certain programs and they responded differently. FIREFOX, MAIL, ICAL, SKYPE (the programs I use everyday) make the green button MAXIMISE the window regardless. SAFARI, CALCULATOR don't.

It got me thinking though. Does anyone know how to change the green button so it DOESN'T maximise a window but rather creates a SMART ZOOM; i.e. shapes the window so it removes any scroll bars rather than just maximise the window.

Thank you for all your help. you guys rock!

11. mac2x macrumors 65816

Just FYI, be sure to check your bash history for commands you've used.

12. oliverlester thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks. how do I check my bash history?

Sorry! A bit new to all this!

thank you!

13. mac2x macrumors 65816

You can either type "history" (w/o quotes, of course) into the command line, or use the up arrow to scroll through previous commands.

14. oliverlester thread starter macrumors newbie

such a simple solution! thank you! Why didnt i do thhis first? oh well! thank you so much!

15. mac2x macrumors 65816

No problem! :)

Here's a good tutorial for bash that shows some basic things. I don't think there's anything in it that could be hazardous to your computer, but you do know NOT to do things like type rm- rf while looking at your home directory, right? Instant loss of data will result. If you don't know what I'm talking about, you probably should learn more before messing around much beyond the basics in the command line. ;)