Put DVD based games on a flash drive

Discussion in 'Mac and PC Games' started by Callumbear845, Sep 24, 2011.

1. Callumbear845 macrumors member

The optical drive on my iMac is going bad right now. I was wondering if anyone knows how to put the contents of a DVD based game onto a flash drive so that I can use that instead of the DVD. I do have another computer with an optical drive I can use to move data.

I am using bootcamp to run Vista. The games I am primarily interested in putting on a flash drive are Race Driver: Grid and Age of Empires III

Any ideas?

2. Sol macrumors 68000

Sol

You would need to rip an image of your game disc using Toast or OS X's Disc Utility and then mount that image from wherever you store it so that the computer sees it as a disc. Of course this will not work if the original game disc has anti-piracy protection.

3. cfII macrumors regular

could this be done w xplane?
    I hate that I have to keep the disc in my drive and if I ever remove the optical drive I will have to connect an external to play xplane on my laptop...me no likey

any ideas?

4. Entopia7 macrumors regular

If you can get the disc imaged, chances are you can mount it with Daemon Tools. It emulates a DVD drive, and my attempts to use it the way you mention have been successful. (this is assuming you're in Windows)

5. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

This works in Snow Leopard, as well, for X-Plane 9. I used Disk Utility to create the image and just mount the image before launching the program.

6. cfII macrumors regular

so you can literally run the game out of demo mode w no disc?

7. deadwulfe macrumors 6502a

deadwulfe

The full game with the disk image mounted, yes.