Put External Hard Drive, in Macbook

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by EmperorOfHemp, Dec 3, 2009.

1. EmperorOfHemp macrumors newbie

I have a Western Digital 250gb Scorpio drive in my Rocstor external hard drive, currently used by Time Machine. Is it possible to remove the drive from the case, and put it in my 'Book? Could I go out and buy a 1tb hard drive, and put it in the case? What would be my best way of coping data if the Time Machine backup is on the now internal hard drive? I have other a bunch of movies and T.V. shows on the drive, as well.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

Your MacBook will accept any 2.5" SATA hard drive, including the Scorpio. However, you can't replace the 2.5" drive in the enclosure with a 3.5" desktop hard drive. It wouldn't fit. The largest capacity available in 2.5" is 500 GB.

3. spinnerlys Guest

spinnerlys

You have to make sure that the interface is S-ATA and not P-ATA (IDE), as there are different models of your drive.

http://www.wdc.com/en/products/products.asp?driveid=346

If it's S-ATA (no matter if S-ATA 1.5Gbps or 3.0Gbps, also called S-ATA I and S-ATA II), the drive will fit, as the maximum height of 9.5 mm is not exceeded.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

I think we are up to 640GB now in 9.5mm 2.5" drives. (Height is metric and platter diameter is Imperial! How strange...)

5. DewGuy1999 macrumors 68040

DewGuy1999

If the Western Digital 250gb Scorpio drive is a 2.5" SATA drive then it could be put in your MacBook. If the drive is 3.5" or PATA then it could not.

If the chipset used in the external hard drive case will support a larger hard drive then you should be able to put one in it.

If you want to get stuff off the Western Digital 250gb Scorpio drive then you should do it before you put it in the MacBook, because once it's in the MacBook you will have to erase it, format it, and install OS X on it.

I don't have any experience with Time Machine (still using Tiger), but can't you use it to get the stuff back off the external hard drive backup.

6. EmperorOfHemp thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay. I wasn't exactly sure if we had reached 1tb for 2.5" drives. Apparently not.

Yeah. So my best bet would probably be to replace the Rocstor case with the new hard drive, make a Time Machine backup of my stock drive onto the new drive, then put the Scorpio drive in the 'Book. But when should I copy the movie and T.V. shows off the scorpio? I don't have enough room to copy the movies onto the stock drive to be included in the TM backup. Unless after backup, I delete data on the stock drive to make room for them.

Anyone have any brilliant ideas?