Put hard drive from late 2008 macbook pro into a new late 2011 macbook pro.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nippyjun, Oct 31, 2011.

1. nippyjun macrumors 65816

I'm thinking of getting a new late 2011 macbook pro. I have a late 2008 macbook pro with an ssd that i want to put into the new computer. Can I just physically put it in and it would would work?

It currently has snow leopard on it but i could udate to Lion first?

Any thoughts?

Thanks.

2. alust2013 macrumors 601

alust2013

you'll probably need to upgrade to lion first

3. abdu2s macrumors newbie

Yup just pop it in.

i upgraded from 2009 model , the ssd had Lion installed.

i just put it in the new machine and it worked absolutely fine. same everything on a new machine!

But had to restart the PRAM to make things work smoother

4. Mersailios macrumors regular

You should be able to swap your existing Solid State Drive into a 2011 MacBook Pro without any problems, the only issue I can think of is if the new models are shipping with a later build of Mac OS X than what is available via the traditional combo update, if this is the case you would need to perform a re-install through Lion Internet Recovery on the new MacBook Pro instead of upgrading to Mac OS X 10.7 before performing the swap.

5. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Might not work with Snow Leopard, but if you change to Lion and update fully (to 10.7.2) before you swap them it should be fine.

6. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

I did an early 2008 to an early 2011 with Snow Leopard and had no issues. I would just make sure you have the latest SL before the swap, when I did the swap that is all I did and it worked fine. WIll probably have to update after the swap, if specific files are needed, but that should be a given.

7. nippyjun thread starter macrumors 65816