Put in new hard drive, used Time Machine, now all my chat programs crash!

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by StevoVandy06, Sep 14, 2010.

1. StevoVandy06 macrumors newbie

I have a 2008 15in macbook pro.

It had a 120gb hard drive in it. Filled up all of that space, so I bought myself a new 500 gb hard drive after reading recs for certain ones on here.

Backed up my hard drive via time machine, removed old hard drive and put in a new one (what a pain in the butt!).

Put in snow leopard disc, "erased" new hard drive to format it, then ran disc recovery to run time machine and get me back up and running.

After time machine ran, the computer is back to normal with the new hard drive, but every single one of my chat clients crashes instantly upon loading it!

Skype, AIM, iChat, and Adium all crash within seconds. Garage band also crashes, as does my Dashboard Client.

Other than that, everything else works - tweet deck, excel, firefox, iMovie, iTunes, word, and so on. they all work fine, all my settings are saved from the time machine install...but none of my chat programs work.

I planned on just wiping the harddrive clean again and rebooting from an hour earlier version of Time Machine...but when I put the snow leopard disc in, restart the computer, and hold down the command key, the CD drive thinks for a few seconds, wirrs a whole bunch, and then spits the CD out and boots up regularly.

My CD drive works fine, I've tried it with audio cds and stuff just a few minutes ago and it works great.

Ugh. Any advice?

Thanks in advance for the help guys, I love this forum!

-Steve

2. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

Boot up you Mac with the OSX disk installed. Click Utilities and the Verify and Repair disk permissions. Hopefully will sort out your problems.

3. bamf macrumors 6502

You could also reinstall to the new drive again and then use Migration Assistant to move the data, settings, programs, etc from the 120 GB drive to the new one. It's an option when you first boot up.

I like doing that better than the Time Machine restore.

4. StevoVandy06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Do you mean reboot the computer with the disc in the drive? For whatever reason, it won't let me boot from the disc.

Once the computer is on, I can go into disc utility; i've verified the disk and it says its working properly, so it won't let me repair...i'll try verify disk permissions.

5. StevoVandy06 thread starter macrumors newbie

I've used migration assistant before and loved it. problem is, this is the only mac I have, so I do have a way to access both the old 120gb drive and the new 500gb drive at the same time.

i'd guess i'd need to buy an external casing for it so that I can access it as well?

My problem is that the disc won't even let me reinstall to the new drive. I try to boot up with the disc in the disc drive and it just wirrs and then spits it back out.

-Steve

6. wandal macrumors newbie

That's it!

7. bamf macrumors 6502

If you have an enclosure you can throw the drive in, then yes you can do Migration Assistant from USB or Firewire.

If you hold down C when booting up the machine will it boot to the DVD drive?

8. StevoVandy06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I don't have an enclosure - I know I can order one, just would rather do it without one if possible.

Even when I hold down C while booting up the machine, the disc just spins, wirrs, and then gets spit out and the computer boots to OSX.

-S

9. bamf macrumors 6502

Inside OS X do this:

Preferences -> Startup Disk -> OS X Install Disk -> Restart

10. StevoVandy06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Arg, even when I put the disc in while inside OS X, the disc wirrs, spins, stops, wirrs, spins, stops, and then gets spit back out.

On the Startup Disk Screen, it won't even recognize the disc while it's in there.

Thanks for your help guys, this is super frustrating.

It recognized the disc this morning, why won't it now! $%#%#!

-Steve

11. StevoVandy06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Haha! After about 10 tries the disc actually stayed in my drive and my computer is recognizing it. Okay, let's see if we can restart and boot from it.

Will report back shortly.

-S

12. bamf macrumors 6502

Good deal. Hopefully it will work for you!

13. StevoVandy06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Okay I got to the disk utility screen, repaired both the disk and the disk permission and my problems still exist (chat progrms and dashboard client both still crash immediately).

I'm going to wipe the harddrive clean, and try to do another back up from time machine.

If that doesn't work, I'll have my roommate order a cheap hard drive enclosure from amazon (he's got prime - free 2 day shipping!) and I can try to do the migration instead.

Will it be able to migrate via USB? Or does it need to be hooked up in some other way with a different port?

-S

14. bamf macrumors 6502

I did my current machine via USB and everything works like a champ. USB just takes a little while (not terrible though).

15. StevoVandy06 thread starter macrumors newbie

Awesome! Well if this doesn't work, then I'll just spend the 6 bucks and do the migration.

Thanks BAMF!

-S

16. bamf macrumors 6502

NP, glad I could help. :)