Put internship on resume?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by yg17, Feb 1, 2014.

1. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I'm updating my resume for a potential job opportunity that came up. I've been at my current employer for 5 and a half years. I also had two summer internships back in college, over 6 and 7 years ago, lasting a couple months each. I'm not really sure if I should list those or not. The internships, my current job, and this new job are all in the same field, so it's relevant experience, but there's not really anything significant I did as an intern that I'm not doing at my current job, and I definitely couldn't remember specifics on what I did there since it's been so long.

Hoping there's some HR people, recruiters, or people who've done the same thing I'm doing who can share their thoughts on this. Thanks!

2. Apple fanboy macrumors P6

Apple fanboy

If your resume (or c.v. as we call them) has plenty of information then no you don't need to include them. If you are young and there's not much else, then yes include them. Basically you don't want any education or work gaps as it implies you have been unemployed or dropped out of education.

3. iJohnHenry macrumors P6

iJohnHenry

Definitely include them if they are germane to the job you are seeking.

4. LadyX macrumors 68020

LadyX

5. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

6. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Yes, I would put the internships on there, especially since they're related to your field. Plus it shows a desire for experience regardless of pay and benefits.

7. Tomorrow macrumors 604

Tomorrow

If it were me, I would include them only if all of these criteria were met:

1. They are directly relevant to the position you're seeking.
    2. They include important or relevant skills or experiences that your other job history doesn't address.
    3. You feel like your professional work history isn't enough to get you the job.

I certainly don't think it's a BAD idea to include it, unless the experience doesn't apply to the job you're trying to get. Good luck!

8. oldhifi macrumors 6502a

oldhifi

9. yg17 thread starter macrumors G5

yg17

Thanks guys. I'll keep it - mainly to help fill out the page. It's only a few lines and it doesn't seem like there's any downside of having it.

10. Consultant macrumors G5

Consultant

Your school's career center probably helps alums.

11. Scepticalscribe Contributor

Scepticalscribe

Yes. Do indeed put these internships on your resumé.

Mention the internships, as they are relevant given that you are seeking future employment in the area, but highlight and discuss in greater detail, your more recent work experience in the same area.

12. Don't panic macrumors 603

Don't panic

do include them, but also prepare something to say if they ask anything about them. To say you don't really remember what you did there is Not an option. :D

good luck.