Put iPhone OS into everything starting with TVs! - New product idea

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by superspiffy, Apr 22, 2010.

1. superspiffy macrumors 6502a

First the iPhone, then the iPod Touch, then the iPad...

The iPhone OS is obviously here to stay. With everything Apple has invested in it, wouldn't it make sense if Apple plans on putting the OS in more devices? When Apple finally stops considering the Apple TV to be a "hobby," they can seriously revolutionize the home theater and video game console market by marrying iPhone OS into actual TV panels and creating a better product than Apple TV. Say hello to iTV...

Imagine 40''+, 50''+, 60''+ TV's that can not only connect to cable, but can also connect to the internet, run apps, games, stream videos, anything, but without attaching a console or computer to it. Instead, you sync what you have from your computer through wifi (or download them directly to your iTV from iTunes) just like the familiar iPod way.

Apple would bundle a wiimote-like controller for the TVs. It'll have real buttons, accelerometers, and maybe even infrared, all connected by bluetooth. iPod Touches/iPhones can be used for controllers too. Maybe the iTVs would also have cams on them allowing for Project Natal type games or video chatting at the very least. Then here comes the magic. Developers would write games for the iTV, just like they do with the iPhone/iTouch, and sell them through the App Store for a fraction of the $50 price that video games on other systems are selling for. Simple and seamless. The iTV can run anything, the only limit is the developer's imagination (and Apple's approval process) Now wouldn't that be a game changer?

For those thinking these are basically iMacs, they're not. I know that iMacs are looking more and more like TV substitutes but they're still computers at heart. They run OS X on fancy computer hardware. These iTVs wouldn't need that. They'll be priced cheaper. Somewhere between the cost of TVs and iMacs. And they'll probably run on a future souped up version of ARM based processors that can drive the massive displays and run iPhone OS.

For those thinking that these are basically giant iPads, well they are. But isn't that the point? The iPad is nothing more than giant iTouches and that is exactly the point. People are obviously willing to pay extra to get the iPhone OS experience on a bigger screen. So why wouldn't they want it on a TV size screen too?

Apple said the iPad is suppose to fullfill the gap between mobile phone and computer. Well the iTV will fulfill the gap between computer and TV/home entertainment. The complete AppleTV+TV all in one.

2. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Basically you are suggesting a even bigger iMac or an enormous iPad...instead of using alternatives like attaching a device or streaming via wifi.

Obviously the biggest hurdle is cost, which will basically render this idea pointless.

3. Aurial macrumors 6502

The last thing i want is another device in my home tied to the Apple Greed machine.

On a similar note though, Google are already doing this with Android.

4. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

Like I said it's not an "even bigger iMac" as it will run iPhone OS.

Attaching a TV to a device that runs iPhone OS gets closer to the idea, but my idea of iPhone OS integrated into the TV itself gives Apple better control of the hardware-software experience and would also allow developers to write software across uniform hardware without worrying about different resolutions, TV brands, specs, etc...

Of course it'll be expensive. But you're paying to get the iPhone OS experience on a TV without having to connect it physically to any other device. And we know that there are plenty of people that will pay money to get that iPhone OS experience on a bigger screen.

5. superspiffy thread starter macrumors 6502a

EXACTLY! They're bringing Android to netbooks, media players, and even digital picture frames one day! Why shouldn't Apple do the same by expanding the iPhone OS platform on other hardware?

6. Aurial macrumors 6502

Because Apple are all about getting their hands on your money, and Google aren't. The give Android away for free.

If you had a tv running iPhone OS I bet it wouldn't have any inputs on it at all except a network connection. Then you couldn't hook up your Sky box, blu ray player, PS3, you'd have to get all of your media from iTunes.

7. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

It's one thing to have a great idea, another to have a practical idea. I am pretty certain that you're not the first one to come up with "iPhone on TV", but the delivery of an idea is as important (if not more important) as the idea itself.

If Apple can provide a device that can be attached to a standard mass produced TV at a fraction of an Apple-made TV with iPhone OS built in and touchscreen. Logically, they wouldn't build their own TV as there wouldn't be more than a handful of customers worldwide. Also, most of us probably never gone 5 feet near a TV other than to turn it on/off occasionally, so why would anyone care for a touchscreen TV that you have to get up and touch your screen?

I would be more than happy now to see Apple delivering touchscreen controls to the next iMac.

8. CocoaPuffs macrumors 68010

Google gets your money without you knowing, and they're quite sneaky about that. Apple is at least honest and you get every dollar of your money worth of product and service.

9. Nykwil macrumors 65816

Nykwil

10. nateharr macrumors 6502

http://www.begeek.fr/levolution-de-lipad-en-2012-et-2014-8398

11. Aurial macrumors 6502

Well, Google get most of your money through advertising revenues. I don't know if product prices have risen in response to Google though, or if it's just companies using their advertising budget in different ways.

As for Apple, i guess we must be getting 22% better products and services here in the UK than in the US, since they charge us 22% more than they do there for the same products.

12. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

13. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

I'd personally like to see it on an in-dash car audio system. Would have an iPod-interface cable and Bluetooth/Wi-Fi connectivity to pull your audio from an iPod/iPhone/iPad. Would also have a built-in cellular radio for data and GPS for location that could pull in weather info, calendar calDAV subscriptions, Mobile Me/Google contacts, and do Google Maps. Could also function as a Bluetooth receiver for call audio and could utilize the voice control function of the 3GS.

Could even throw in an App Store for apps like all the GPS Nav solutions or some sort of car maintenance logging app.

14. klamse25 macrumors 6502a

klamse25

Good idea, but that's completely irrelevant to this thread...

15. Mike2128 macrumors 6502

Am I not understanding the whole "Put iPhone OS into everything..." portion of the title of this thread? Should I have made a separate thread entitled "Put iPhone OS into everything followed by a car system! - Another new product idea"

I'd imagine that'd get out of hand pretty quick. I'd say it's entirely relevant.

16. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

Wow!! You completely read my mind! I've been thinking of this. If Apple made a car stereo system it would be PERFECT! It would feel so much more natural to use than some of the other touch screen systems there are out there.

With the way the iPhone OS organizes media plus the apps that can be made car specific, it would make the best car system!

**Sigh** One can only dream.

17. Jaro65 macrumors 68040

Jaro65

I think that really is a great idea. Remember that MS tried to do something similar a few years ago. The difference is that Apple really has an OS that is touch-oriented and so it would be basically perfect for this type of application. Hopefully at some point in the future we may see that.

18. emoo69 macrumors newbie

I guess apple proved you wrong if the $99 price is real.

19. DaGreat01 macrumors 6502a

DaGreat01

I can already picture it coming standard in cars! Maybe this can be a reality sometime.