Put iTunes Library On Network With iTunes Match

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by beatledud, Jul 18, 2012.

1. beatledud macrumors 6502

Recently got a MBP Retina and I'm struggling to keep my storage down with the 256MB SSD. One big chunk that takes up a lot of space is my music collection (about 70GB). I'm thinking about moving my iTunes folder to my AirDisk drive (done this in the past). However I like to have my music available if I take my MBP with me (I don't do this very often however). I signed up for iTunes Match yesterday, and was wondering if I can stream my music from the cloud in iTunes when I'm away from my home network and it's disconnected from the network drive.

One additional perk of putting my iTunes library on the network drive is I could start putting my TV shows and Movies into iTunes (something I couldn't do as my library is in upwards of 800GB and must reside on my AirDisk).

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

One option is to keep your favorite music on your internal drive, available when you travel, with the remainder on an external drive.

How to split a single iTunes library over two or more media locations

3. beatledud thread starter macrumors 6502

That's an Option, but I like to let iTunes keep my library organized.

I did further searching and I think the only real way to do this is to create 2 iTunes libraries. So I would have a second iTunes Library with nothing in it but with iTunes Match still synced to my account. Then when I'm on the road I can option-click iTunes and select the empty library and download whatever song I want from iCloud.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Splitting the library doesn't disorganize it. Mine is very organized, but the media files are located on two drives in well-organized folders. Of course, you can use whatever method you choose.