Put Mac Pro (Intel) HD into Power Mac G5 without reinstalling OS X?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by J.C, May 16, 2009.

1. J.C macrumors 6502

I decided I wanted to use the 1TB HD that's in my brand new mac pro in my late 2005 Power Mac G5. I installed the HD and started up the Power Mac. I was planning to insert the OS X disk and have to reinstall the operating system.

But it booted up fine and seems to be working perfectly. I thought I would have needed to reinstall OS X since the hardware/specs are completely different (especially the processor Intel V PowerPC). I thought it would be having some kind of Mac Pro in Power Mac body freak-out!

Is that not the case? Can I go ahead and use this sucker without any dramas? I've read iMovie 09 isn't compatible with PowerPC. Will all the other system and iLife 09 software work OK?

Thanks! :)

2. techound1 macrumors 68000

techound1

That's the beauty of using an OS built by the hardware manufacturer - drop them in and out and as long as the system supports the OS specs. Bliss! :p

3. grue macrumors 65816

This is why Leopard is so goddamned bloated: It has two entire codebases in it for vastly different architectures. I can't wait until PowerPC gets kicked to the curb with Snow Leopard.