Put Me On the AT&T Hatred Bandwagon

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by y1919, Jul 26, 2008.

1. y1919 macrumors newbie

So here's my situation...I have $300 in gift cards to ATT. I would prefer to buy from Apple, but there isn't a store even remotely close so I was fine with doing the direct fulfillment thing. I went to do this today and I am to the point where I'm getting ready to pay for the phone and they tell me that I can't pay with my gift cards. They tell me that I have to use a credit card. Now I could do this, but then I would still have $300 of worthless gift cards. I thought maybe I could use them to pay my bill for a while, but you cannot do that with gift cards. They told me I could just wait until ATT gets them back in stock (who knows when that will be) and then I MIGHT be able to use my gift cards on the phone. Here's the catch though, when the person who bought these gift cards for me bought them, he specifically asked the ATT store if they could be used for a direct fulfillment and the answer was yes. Just ranting and wondering what I'm going to do while I wait for 3 months for the ATT stores to get stock of iphones.

2. ivtecDOu macrumors 6502

ivtecDOu

3. mciarlo macrumors 6502

mciarlo

Id be upset if I had gift cards to At&t but I couldn't use them on bills or the phone I wanted. What else is left?

4. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

I ordered the iPhone on Direct Fulfillment yesterday, and was going to pay part of it with a $50 rebate debit card (funnily enough, from ATT; Got it when I subscribed to Uverse). The rep mentioned why you couldn't use a gift card or rebate debit card there. Reason is that they require a card that has a ZIP code attached to the card and cardholder. A rebate debit card or gift card doesn't, and can't be used. You CAN, however, use those gift cards to pay your bill, get a new non-iPhone, accessories, etc.

They even have that mentioned in print when you purchase the phone[1], so no need to be upset with ATT for the smeg up.

BL.

[1]at least at the store I went to: Citrus Heights, CA.

5. seenett macrumors regular

I've got to agree with the OP. AT&T's primary reason for having gift cards is because a gift giver can't just walk in and walk out with a phone as a gift - the recipient must sign up in person. And with the new iPhone being activated in store, they actively sold gift cards for this reason.

If it's true they won't let you order an iPhone via DF with gift cards, then that's ridiculous. The iPhone is shipped to the retail store for activation and should be treated like any other retail purchase.

6. bradl macrumors 68040

bradl

But the difference is that they swipe the card for the DF order to start to be processed, not after the phone gets in. If they had them in stock at the store, it would be a different story.

BL.

7. D3lta macrumors 6502a

You should have told them that when you were getting the gift cards, you specifically asked if you can use with DF and they said yes.

8. y1919 thread starter macrumors newbie

Here's a question whose answer will probably just upset me more...when do you guys think ATT will have stock of the iphones?

And to BL...are you sure you can use gift cards for your bill. I was specifically told by 2 ATT stores and a customer service rep that the could not be used for bills but they could be used to buy merchandise. I would be fine with it if I could go ahead and use it on my bill, but I don't think you can. I thought maybe I would just use the money for a case and other accessories for the phone, but I really don't need $300 worth of accessories. I just dont get it. If only the ATT store hadn't originally said they could be used for the DF. And also, the girls who waited on me today (who works for ATT) even thought they could be used. Whatever they do to place the DF order they have options to select and "pay with gift card" is one of them. They manager informed her and me that it is just an error and you can't do it.

I did. They told me to contact customer service and when I did that they told me to talk to the store where I bought the gift cards. Just one big loop with no information.

9. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

2 weeks to 1 Month is my guess.

10. y1919 thread starter macrumors newbie

That is actually encouraging. I was anticipating a month at the least. The girl at ATT said they had to tell other people this that didn't want to do a DF for whatever reason. She was nice and pretty helpful considering the circumstances. She said they've been told to say anywhere between 3 weeks and 3 months. She said that between the coworkers there and what they've heard, they think it will be nearly 2 months before the have a steady stream of iphones. But that doesn't mean they wont get some in every once a while before that.

other phones and accessories is what I was told I could use it on

Maybe hates a little bit of a strong word, but why would that not make me upset?

11. waywardsage macrumors 6502

waywardsage

Why dont you just order from apple.com at this rate?

12. y1919 thread starter macrumors newbie

You cant order them online. And what am I going to do with $300 in ATT gift cards?

13. wronski macrumors 6502

[​IMG]

14. Sobe macrumors 68000

Sobe

I never buy people gift cards, it's just asking for trouble.

I understand that your benefactor specifically asked, but why not just write you a check or hand you the cash?

Makes like sooo much easier.

As for what to do now. Yell, kick, scream, raise a fuss til they let you use them.

15. protekt0r macrumors regular

protekt0r

you can pay your bill with at&t gift cards. here's a screenshot:

[​IMG]

16. pcorrado macrumors regular

maybe you should go back to the store that the gift cards were bought from, find the manager and explain the situation then suggest this...you will pay be credit card, but when the phone comes in ask if they will do a return for you and then let you make the purchase with the gift cards?

17. DiamondMac macrumors 68040

DiamondMac

I don't hate AT&T, I just have problems with them

But, I have had problems with all phone companies so it isn't a big surprise

I find that all big phone companies are big business that do what is needed to make a buck and we as consumers usually suffer

18. TimothyB macrumors 6502a

I don't have the time to read the whole thread. But if they ship the DF iPhone to the store, could you pay with your Credit Card, then when you go to the store for pickup, have them refund the CC, maybe as a return, and then pay with the gift card seeing as they actually have it now. Basically use the CC as collateral.