Put mini to sleep by pressing power on cinema display

Discussion in 'Mac mini' started by weezin, Apr 19, 2019.

1. weezin macrumors regular

I'm struggling!

I have a 2006 Mac Mini running Lion connected to a 20" Cinema Display. I want to be able to press the power button on the display to sleep the system with just that action.

Currently, when I press the power button one the display, I get this screen:

[​IMG]
    I have System Preferences -> Display -> Options set to "Pressing the display's power button puts the computer to sleep or wakes it".
    I have Energy saver set to check "Allow power button to put the computer to sleep".

upload_2019-4-19_18-9-36.png

If I press and hold the power button on the display, nothing happens at all.

If I set "Pressing the display's power button turns the display on and off", it works as expected and doesn't give me the dialog box.

What is wrong here?

I want to do this since I'm running the mini without a keyboard or mouse to power a slideshow on the 20" ACD. I'd like to be able to tap the monitor power button to wake the mini, let the slideshow go on (screensaver) and tap the power button to sleep it again at night.

2. for this macrumors 6502

Nothing is wrong. I'm using this monitor and also get the dialog box instead of the immediate sleep.

Looks like it's been like this since OS X 10.3.
    https://discussions.apple.com/thread/2327663

3. weezin thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks. I get the sense based on what I've read that it is not actually supposed to be that way, but I can't be sure. It is frustrating for my use case.

4. weezin thread starter macrumors regular

Anyone else have a potential solution? Is there a little tool or utility that allows this?

5. Fishrrman macrumors P6

Fishrrman

I don't think you're going to be able to do anything more to change things.

What I would suggest (I don't know if this will work, but give it a try):
    1. Press the power button on the cinema display to invoke the dialog as show in post 1 above.
    2. When it appears, touch the "s" key on your keyboard (no "command" key combination, just type "s").

What does that do?
    Hint:
    Observe the power light on the Mini. What does it do?
    Wait 30 seconds, then press the mouse button or touch a key.
    What happens afterwards?

6. weezin thread starter macrumors regular

Unfortunately I don't have a keyboard hooked up to the mini. I could do this via screen sharing, but I'm not sure that would accomplish what you're looking to see...or would it?