Put music directly onto iPod (skipping hard drive)?

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by ppc_michael, Jun 7, 2008.

1. ppc_michael Guest

ppc_michael

I sync my iPod Touch "manually" so I can just drag what I want to it from my iTunes library.

But is there a way I can drag a file directly to the iPod without having to add it to my iTunes Library (on my hard drive) first?

2. albinoAZN macrumors regular

no, but there are iTunes alternative apps out there.

3. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

No, but you can add the song to the library, drag it into your iPod, then delete the song on your computer.
    May I ask why you would want to not have a copy of the song on your computer anyway?

4. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

Do you mean storing it on the iPod, like the iPod Classics where you can drag the file onto the ipod directly so its stored on there as a file not a song??
    (if so,) ipod touches arent capable of disk mode...(yet?) so the best bet is to get an external drive or a ("real") flash drive....

Otherwise you can just drag a song to your ipod while itunes is open you dont need to add it to the library just find the track from your harddrive open itunes and drag it onto the iPod on the left of sidepanel in itunes and it will add it to the ipods library.

5. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Aw that's too bad, thanks for the replies.

For my "good" stuff (Radiohead, Pink Floyd, etc) I want the uncompressed AIFFs directly from the CDs on my iPod, which I usually listen to more, and with really good headphones. I have the MP3s of all of that on my computer but I wouldn't listen to it enough on my computer to give up that large amount of disk space for the uncompressed versions.

6. teflon macrumors 6502a

teflon

^^^
    Ah I see. In that case, take AppleNewton's advice :).

7. ppc_michael thread starter Guest

ppc_michael

Thanks, but that doesn't seem to work for me. :(