Put my MBP 2.53 on a Diet

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Maven1975, Dec 1, 2008.

1. Maven1975 macrumors 6502a

I just removed the super(dust)drive and swapped out the 320 with an Intel X25-M. Total weight savings of .65 lbs. Lets give it a week and see if there is any battery life improvements with the SSD and not having the DVD drive trickle power.

Now.. if I could only remove this glass... :D

2. Eidorian macrumors Penryn

Eidorian

That sounds like a nice weight saving measure! Good luck with it. :D

3. Maven1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

I am also a MBA 1.86 owner, but I wanted something for full blown games. The air is perfect for me in many ways. However, someone need to figure out how to eliminate the throttling setting under OSX. (OSX Mame correctly will not even run because of this - Fine under XP)

Come on coolbook.. send us a update soon please.

4. drichards macrumors 6502a

drichards

You got a macbook air for games?

5. Maven1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

"I am also a MBA 1.86 owner, ------but------ I wanted something for full blown games."

Too bad the screen is so d*#@ heavy!

6. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

You plan on installing these games how now?

The X25-M isn't exactly big... and a lot of games require the disc to be inserted in order to play them... unless you're using no-cd/dvd cracks for them, or some form of digital distribution like Steam?

Seems stupid to me honestly...

7. AppleNewton macrumors 68000

AppleNewton

using the optional superdrive or other computers optical drives. :)

8. Ampidire macrumors 6502

Ampidire

the optional one works on your MBP? last i checked the internal usb controller was programmed for the Air only and requires you to replace it for it to work on any other computer...

9. Maven1975 thread starter macrumors 6502a

That sounds just like me before I made the adjustment to an Air with a 64GB HD. I learned there were better ways for -ME- to manage my files.

I use Steam for my games. I would like to see everything move in this direction. This helps cut costs, packaging materials, gas, labor and our dumps. (Oh, and standing in line at midnight for games)

The Air's external drive is SLOW. I don't know or care if works with the MBP. Remote drive over wireless N is faster than that. I use USB sticks to transfer things off my computer while I am out in the field. This is faster than burning a disc and I am not wasting plastic. I can also use my main computer to make an image of a disc, transfer it over wireless N and install it.

Everything I process during the day is merged with the server and cloud. I am fortunate enough to have wireless with me as long as there is cell signal.

I am not a Music/Audio producer. There is no reason for me to need that much space on my HD. If I wanted to add more weight, It would be a second HD before putting that Super Dust Drive back in.