Put my mind at rest, please!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Moriarty, Feb 3, 2008.

1. Moriarty macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2008
    OK, I'm very new to Mac, and a long-time lurker on this forum, but relatively computer literate. I finally bit the bullet of temptation (I've been eyeing a Macbook for a long time) and bought a Macbook, and I love it! But after the initial setup, I realised that my home folder was named "myname". Well, it was my actual name in there, but no capitals or spaces! And it had my first and surname. I figured that I wouldn't be able to put up with this throughout my Macbooks life, so I set about fixing that.

I created a new user, with the home folder called "My Name". Much better. I then migrated the few files I had already accumulated from the old user to the new, and deleted the old user.

Now, what I'm worried about - would this "stuff up" anything in the future? Would my personal details I had entered during setup still be registered to this machine? I had already activated my iWork license before I created the new user, but it still starts up fine, and I assume it's tied to the user, not the machine. Other than that, I set my user preferences and everything to what they were before, but I had made very few changes, it'd only been alive for a few hours.

Sorry for the long thread, I just don't want anything to happen! Put my mind at rest please :eek:
  2. swiftaw macrumors 603

Jan 31, 2005
    Omaha, NE, USA
  3. tersono macrumors 68000

Jan 18, 2005
    Nope - you did it exactly the right way. You shouldn't have any problems
  4. Moriarty thread starter macrumors 6502

Feb 3, 2008