Resolved Put new SSD in MBA 2010 or wait for 2012?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by vseera, Oct 19, 2011.

  1. vseera, Oct 19, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2011

    vseera macrumors regular

    May 27, 2011
    Hey guys,

    I have been using an MBA 11inch 2010 edition (the 128GB version) since a few months now.
    I am absolutely in love with it and a complete convert to the MBA line, as opposed to the MBP side of things.

    Now, I was unfortunate enough not to get an option of upgraded ram when buying it, as I bought it from a shop in Singapore.

    So its a standard config, 2GB + 128GB version.

    I am running out of space and want to upgrade to the more spacious and faster OWC 180GB SSD (or 240GB, haven't decided as yet).

    My dilemma is this:

    If I upgrade the SSD of this comp, I don't want it to be useless for subsequent versions.

    The Intel 2.5inch SSD I bought a few years back still runs fine and I have swapped it into quite a few laptops.

    Do you think Apple will keep using the same form factor blade SSDs? Or will they yet again change the design or solder them in as well?

    Or should I just try and manage with the limited space and get an Ivy bridge model next year and try and sell this one?

    The sad part is, I am perfectly fine with this machine. It's the ram which is killing me, I see Page Outs sometimes in the 600,000 range.

    Thanks in advance!
  2. IngerMan macrumors 65816


    Feb 21, 2011
    I would just try and make do with the 128 SSD you have. Get a inexpensive external drive for extra storage. The OWC blades are nice but do you really want to through another $300 - $400 at it with only 2GB of ram. I would make do and invest much less in external storage.
  3. AWallen90 macrumors 6502

    Sep 15, 2009
    Pageouts are not quite as important when you are running as SSD, yes you would get better performance with 4GB but it isn't a large of a jump as 2-4GB running an HDD.

    Also Swap is more important, but (insert same commentary from above)
  4. vseera thread starter macrumors regular

    May 27, 2011
    Yes, that's the basic line of thinking I am on right now.

    On another note, I have applecare on this (as on all my laptops) so I have 2+ years of warranty remaining.

    I am thinking I should just try and stick it out with the 128GB + external, and move to the Ivy bridge with better battery life and more ram. Hopefully, I should get a fair price for my machine then.

    I understand page outs are less important, but the low space problem is highlighted by the fact that my swap starts from 64mb at boot but reaches 2-3GB easily within a few hours.
  5. Xikum macrumors 6502

    Oct 19, 2011
    Id say this is pretty much the best option. I have a very small G Slim Drive (500GB) that is light enough to easily carry around with me, and it only cost me £70 from Apple themselves. Im sure you could find a cheaper one with less memory if you wanted to, but I'd say thats a much better option than forking out for a new SSD.
  6. s2dio macrumors regular


    Oct 28, 2010
    Riga, Latvia
    I would stick with your 128 gb native sad and be happy about it. It'd be a whole different situation if you had a 64gb drive. Even though I have 256 Gb version, I believe I could get along with a 128 one.
  7. ZipZap macrumors 603

    Dec 14, 2007
    The issue with buying a new blade SSD is that you really have to keep the old one if MBA service is needed.

    Even though this type of upgrade only voids the warranty if it causes hardware issues, I am sure that's what an Apple repair person will claim.

    That said, if you have the money upgrade the drive. I did.

    As an alternative, I like the G-Drive Slim as a carry around hard drive. I would push itunes files there once you are done with them.
  8. vseera thread starter macrumors regular

    May 27, 2011
    Thanks guys for all the help!

    I am going to get a G Drive slim and put up a few symlinks and stuff to help me out. Not the most elegant solution, but I think I can manage quite easily with it.
  9. ZipZap macrumors 603

    Dec 14, 2007
    You will like the Gdrive. Try to get the bigger one. I use it for timemachine backups as well.

Share This Page