Put off Mac Pro purchase for Light Peak?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by sammyman, Nov 4, 2010.

1. sammyman macrumors 6502a

I just read the news. I was waiting forever for USB 3, and now light peak. Should I wait for the Mac Pro to get Light Peak?

2. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

General rule for computer buying: If you need it, buy it now.

What are you going to be doing with your Mac Pro? If you're using it for business, chances are you'd be best just buying it now, and if you really need LightPeak, grab a PCIe card to add it.

jW

3. SandboxGeneral Moderator

SandboxGeneral

Staff Member

Ditto what was said above. Also, there still is a chance that you may be waiting a long time for LP to make its way into the line up.

4. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

It is for my wife's business. She is a photographer. We also have a NAS, and I think Light Peak is something that I would definitely want for her for transferring large amounts of pictures which she does often.

5. sammyman thread starter macrumors 6502a

Or a long time for them to update the Mac Pros! It took FOREVER the last time around. My guess is that the MBP, and the iMacs with both get Light Peak first.

6. dissolve macrumors 6502a

In all likelihood, you'll be able to add a light peak PCIe card to your MP. The 10Gbit/sec advertised speed won't be able to saturate the any of the slots so it should be a viable solution (unless I'm missing something).

7. Umbongo macrumors 601

Umbongo

Assume you will be waiting a year before Mac Pros come with Light Peak and make your decision with that in mind.

8. deeddawg macrumors 604

Don't buy a new system until you *need* it. Even if Lightpeak comes out in January or February, how long until it comes out in the Apple products? How long until it's decently supported on the market by peripheral makers?

If you like being on the bleeding edge of technology, great, but personally I'd probably wait a little while and let the market mature.

Sort of like someone buying an ipad the day it came out vs. someone who waited four months and had a much more mature market from which to choose cases and accessories. (me? I'm waiting for 2nd gen ipad before I consider if it'd be worthwhile) :)

9. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

LP isn't even out yet and the schedule can still change. Just get one with USB 3.0 or eSATA PCIe card

10. Argon21 macrumors member

^^ This statement makes no sense.

NAS is Ethernet attached storage. It's slow. LP is for locally attached storage, very fast.

Are you planning on tossing out the NAS in favor of a newer LP solution? You have plenty of options already right now today if you're looking for something faster than NAS. eSata is leagues faster than NAS, heck, even Firewire 800 is almost 2x faster than NAS in real world throughput.

11. All Taken macrumors 6502a

You can't call a network attached drive on a lightpeak network (as opposed to a Gigabit network) a NAS?

What is the proper term?

12. gabicava83 macrumors regular

Doesn't always mean slow, a NAS/SAN can we slower due to the RAID's and the configuration compared to a DAS, however, ethernet, specially a 1gb network is not slow.

http://www.lyberty.com/tech/terms/usb.html

13. 7thMac macrumors 6502

No one knows when the LP models will be released or what the specs are. Waiting only makes sense if you have something that is working well for you now.

14. applepearpp macrumors regular

building your own hackintosh is a better bet. google tonymacos86. his blog even gives you a recommended build for a powerful mac pro and a walkthrough on how to get everything to work.

a hackintosh also gives you a lot of upgradeability