Put off using 10.5?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by rdf8585, Oct 20, 2007.

1. rdf8585 macrumors regular

I'm guessing I should just put off using 10.5 until my next Mac (hopefully within a year) - but I guess I could always be wrong. Seems to me like my Mac barely exceeds 10.5's wants to the point where the thing would just get slower.

Mac Mini (late 2005)
    1.33 G4
    1 GB RAM (this is the max I can put in)
    32 MB Radeon 9200

2. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

3. rdf8585 thread starter macrumors regular

Thinking is a good thing.

4. psychofreak Retired

psychofreak

EDIT: Didn't realize you can't but more RAM in...

5. Nick12945 macrumors regular

6. nsbio macrumors 6502a

nsbio

I am going to wait for reviews from actual users that will appear within a couple of weeks before I upgrade my 1.5 Ghz PB to 10.5 . I sure hope that they will support Classic. If not, then no upgrade for me.

7. CalBoy macrumors 604

CalBoy

;)
    I think in your case, Leopard will be slower and probably not as enjoyable as it would be on a new machine. If you can wait until after Christmas is over, you could save up and get yourself a new macbook, or if you like desktops, get yourself a new Mini once they get the next update (that might be a lot longer though).

8. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

darn. slower?

I WANT IT ANYWAYS

lol

im going on friday :)

9. sananda macrumors 68020

if you're ok with tiger get leopard if you want; leopard will not be any slower.

10. Multimedia macrumors 603

Multimedia

I May Be Putting It Off A Week To Get The Lower $69 Academic Price, But Maybe Not...

I may have to wait for a local school bookstore to get it in so I can get it for $69 November 1 - they think then. It would be the first time I haven't had the new system from day one. But I'm not that impatient to want to pay more only a week earlier. However, I need to phone around Monday to find out if other school bookstores in my area will have it for sale on Friday as they also are selling it for only $69.

Yes I have a current academic credential.

I'm going to put it on my 1.25GHz PB right away so if this thread is still alive next Saturday, I'll let you know how it feels with CS3 and FCS2. No way will it be slower. You can forget about that fear. I bet it will be faster. Every system release has been faster than the previous release. And that's not wild speculation. It's a FACT. ;)

11. yoyo5280 macrumors 68000

yoyo5280

If it runs like tiger it should be fine.

I am backing up now (preparing for erase and install)

How do I back up Application Preferences?

12. unity macrumors 6502a

Historically OS X has become FASTER in each version. Remember 10.1? hahaha....

Anyway what you miss out on is the eye candy effects and maybe a few new features. But if those WERE implemented, then yes slower. But the OS scales very well on older hardware. So if its supported, it should be fine minus a few things.

13. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

i'm also still on a G4 mac. i'll definately wait till 10.5.3 or later. by then there will be enough reports out there how leopard runs on G4's. tiger will be fully functional for a long time. so it's better to hold out and save the money. when i eventually upgrade i get leopard and ilife for free. that's a $200 value.