Put Old HD in New MacBook?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by nylock10, Jan 31, 2008.

1. nylock10 macrumors regular

Hey there,

Today I received a new MacBook after my previous one died. The previous one has a dead logic board and cannot be turned on (as well as other problems), but the hard drive is fine.

AppleCare wanted over $800 to fix it (and the risk of losing all the data), so instead I got a new MacBook.

My question is:
    Can I remove the hard drive from the old MacBook and put it in the new one, boot off of it and copy the data to an external drive, then swap the hard drives back?

Both computers are the same model:

MacBook (White) Core 2 Duo 2GHz, 80GB 5400RPM HD

Thanks!

2. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

If its the same model, all you need to do is put the old hdd in and boot from it. No need to move anything.

3. oneearth macrumors newbie

i tried it the other way around:

the hard drive on my first gen macblack died. i put the hard drive of a third gen macbook (with os x server loaded) in my first gen macblack and it booted up no problem. it detected the first gen dual core correctly.

hth

4. nylock10 thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the replies.

I actually got an external enclosure and put the drive into there and it works!

5. ChadBrommer macrumors member

ChadBrommer

Yeah man, I was just gonna say, why not just grab an enclosure for like 10 or 15 bucks and don't worry about dismantling you beautiful piece of machinery.