Put on bumper, now can't charge

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by zzyzx, Jul 30, 2010.

1. zzyzx macrumors member

Anyone else having a problem where the apple charger doesn't work with the bumper on? Am I doing something stupid wrong? It seems to be on OK...

2. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

If you're trying to use the ip4 dock with a bumper it won't work.

If you're trying to use any other usb cable other then the one that came with your ip4 it won't work.

Awesome huh?

3. zzyzx thread starter macrumors member

OK, it's not me then...

Also noticed that headphones didn't really work either... no wonder they're giving these away...

4. Jhanson09 macrumors regular

my new free bumper is on my phone. and it still charges and headphone jack works..... did you remember to put the bumper on your iphone 4, not 3gs

5. Built macrumors 68020

Incorrect. I have had iPhone 2G, 3G and multiple iPod Touches. I have Apple cables all over my house, and they ALL work to charge the i4. I don't use a dock.

6. zzyzx thread starter macrumors member

Sure looks like an iPhone 4 ;)

I was just wondering if there was something that had to be removed or if it were possible to put it on wrong (even though all of the holes seemed to match up)...

7. zzyzx thread starter macrumors member

Ok I have 4 of those iPod usb cords in the house (and one unofficial one) and it looks like 3 of the 4 Apple ones work. The broken ones were the those from an outside marketer and what was probably an original iPhone cord. That's not too bad then.

8. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Older iPhone/iPod charging cables are slightly fatter than the charging cable that came with the iPhone 4. All of them still work fine to charge the iPhone 4, however the bottom of the apple bumper only fits the slimmer iPhone 4 charging cable.

I had an old iPod USB cable, and just ripped off the plastic around the dock connector and wrapped it in electrical tape. Works great as an extra charging cable for my iPhone with the bumper on.

I'm crossing my fingers that with the inevitable surge of bumper users, someone will release a good FM transmitter charging dock that works with the bumper on.

9. UCLAKoolman macrumors 6502a

Interesting. Do these cables work when the bumper is off?

10. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

IF YOU WOULD READ more carefully next time he is talking about charging WITH THE BUMPER.

derrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr

11. ngrimes-2010 macrumors regular

Are you the Phish zzyzx? I assume so. I am on PT all the time :)

12. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

Apple did not consider the possibility that anyone would charge their iPhone with anything other than the packed in cable and would use no other headset than, again, the packed in one. Glad now that I got my refund, even though I otherwise like the Bumper. I will probably get an Incase slider once they are finally available.

13. zzyzx thread starter macrumors member

There are a bunch of us, but yes, I am that Zzyzx.

And to answer the other question, yes the cords work without the bumper. Fortunately the car charger I bought lets you swap out USB cords.