Put SSD in old MacBook-worth it?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by ctsoundguy, Mar 20, 2013.

1. ctsoundguy macrumors newbie

I've got an old 2006 MacBook, running 10.6.8, 2GHz Intel Core 2 duo. Ram is maxed out at 2 GB, with an 80 GB HD. Takes forever to boot up, but actually runs pretty good.

I've been thinking about putting in a 128 GB SSD. Seems simple and not very expensive. My question is whether this will substantially improve the boot up time and overall performance.

Or do I just put the $150 towards a new Air ?

Thanks.

2. B... macrumors 68000

B...

Normally I would say yes,but when a computer is 7 years old and the RAM is maxed out, time to think about a new one.

3. lot of apples macrumors newbie

You can get 128 GB SSDs for as little as $89 on Newegg right now.

You should see a big improvement in boot times and improved general "snappiness" to launching programs.

For that much, I'd say it was worth it, and you could probably squeeze another few years out of the machine.

4. mslide macrumors 6502a

For bootup time, yes, for overall performance yes and no. I was using a late 2006 MacBook with an SSD up until a few months ago. For basic things, like web browsing, it was more than fine. Basic apps like Safari started very quickly. As for bootup times, well, that computer with an SSD booted up faster than my 2012 MBP before I replaced its HD with an SSD. However, once the apps are loaded, it'll pretty much run just as slow as it does now.

You'll have to decide if it's worth it. In the end, that computer is still very slow and only being able to have 2GB RAM can be a killer. If you just want it to browse the web, listen to iTunes and whatnot, it's worth it. If you do much more than that, I'd put the money towards a new computer.

Just because something is old doesn't mean it has to be replaced. A computer that old is more than enough to satisfy the computing needs of most average consumers (not that I'm saying the OP is one... I have no idea how he uses his computer).

5. ctsoundguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for all the reply's and advice.

I think I'm going to give the SSD a try. This laptop is used mostly for surfing,email, and non intensive tasks.

Hate the idea of replacing it while it still works and maybe I can get another couple years from it.

6. Nameci macrumors 68000

Nameci

I have replaced my original 250GB 5400RPM with a 128GB SSD and never looked back. My early 2008 MB on SL feels like it is running on steroids.

7. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

My Late 2006 MBP felt like a new computer after I added an SSD. I would absolutely recommend it - In all disk intensive tasks it runs in circles around my 2011 top end iMac with a HDD.

8. paul-n macrumors regular

Adding a SSD makes the machine much faster and if you decide later to buy a new Mac you still have good backup Mac.
    Newegg offers the Samsung 840 is available for $99, which is a good, reliable SSD.

9. jems87 macrumors newbie

I have the same macbook as you. I got my in my freshmen year of college and that was about 7 years ago, but I've done a few modifications to it.

I just installed a SSD into mine last week. Well, I swapped out the superdrive and installed a 1TB hard drive and installed OSX on the SSD so it boots faster yet, everything else is saved/opened from the other drive. You could try that approach (you'll have to shop around for the proper HD Super drive Bay replacement) if you're comfortable in not having a CD drive anymore.

Also, it looks like your memory isn't quite maxed out yet. If you have the same macbook as I, (which I'm assuming so) you can go up to 4GB of Ram (I've heard rumors of going up to 6GB but I haven't tried it yet) But as for overall performance, you'll notice a huge difference in boot up times with the SSD. Hope this helps! :D

10. ctsoundguy thread starter macrumors newbie

Installed the new 128 SSD, added another gig of RAM for a total of 3 ( found out with my processor that 3 is max ), and the old Macbook is running great.

Boots up much faster, and the RAM is a big help as well. Here's to another couple years !

Thanks all.